Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utah nurse arrested for refusing to draw blood from unconscious patient

Options
  • 01-09-2017 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭

refusing to draw blood from unconscious patient.

Just seen this clip. Mental stuff altogether.

https://youtu.be/qU_RjebYDis

A nurse at a Utah hospital said she was assaulted by a police officer after refusing to give him a sample of an unconscious patient's blood.

At a press conference nurse Alex Wubbels showed videos of the incident from police officers' body cameras.

They showed her being arrested at the University of Utah Hospital in Salt Lake City.

She had declined to give the blood sample because the officer did not have a warrant or the patient's consent.

The footage, which was filmed on July 26, showed the nurse in blue medical scrubs consulting with colleagues for several minutes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/01/utah-nurse-arrested-not-giving-patients-blood-police/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Wouldn't get that in Coppers anyway for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

She could have taken the blood and been sued for assaulting the man, she was absolutely in the right and fair play to her. Nice lawsuit heading the police's way there I'd say.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Who cares?
    It's in the USA. Not our issue.
    People in Ireland caught up with the whole policing issue in the states

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

TallGlass wrote: »
    Wouldn't get that in Coppers anyway for starters.

I'd say plenty of nurses ended up in handcuffs after meeting up with cops in Coppers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Nice lawsuit heading the police's way there I'd say.

Doubt it, the Police department signed off on what the nurse was implementing.

That officer is out on his own on this one from the looks of things. Height of an idiot, even his colleagues faces said it all, the look of them looking at him thinking 'what the fúck are you doing'.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

She'll get a nice payout. Best payday of all will be for the lawyers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

I live in Utah and I don't even care about this. Irish and brits are obsessed with US policing and alt right politics. It's a different country why is my face book full of posts from Irish people taking side in a democracy that's thousands of miles away. It's baffling to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I live in Utah and I don't even care about this. Irish and brits are obsessed with US policing and alt right politics. It's a different country why is my face book full of posts from Irish people taking side in a democracy that's thousands of miles away. It's baffling to me.

We have a world view as opposed to a ""name county" first " view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

You live there, why aren't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Clickbait title changed. Also link at end of op fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,696 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Cops can't take being wrong. Why is that ?...some mental block that is trained into them.
    She told him she could not do it, a normal reaction is '' ok, I see, thanks for educating me on reasons, lets wait until he's awake and try get consent''
    All cops are the same.

This is a black square

Cop: no it's white
    NO way, it's clearly black
    Cop : No, it's white ok!
    You're wrong it's black
    Cop : that's it you're under arrest

30968168_001_s

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Cops can't take being wrong. Why is that ?...some mental block that is trained into them.
    She told him she could not do it, a normal reaction is '' ok, I see, thanks for educating me on reasons, lets wait until he's awake and try get consent''
    All cops are the same.

This is a black square

You're wrong it's black

30968168_001_s

Just as well. The square is a lot safer if the cop thinks it's white.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Luckily not everybody has such a selfish attitude and lack of empathy as yourself. I care and I am sure the majority of people do. A nurse has been literally dragged from a busy A&E and been detained for doing her job. Its sickening to hear the terror in her voice.

5starpool wrote: »
    She'll get a nice payout. Best payday of all will be for the lawyers though.

Hope she does. She is a nurse, they all deserve so much more than they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

You live in a state where a policeman can attack a nurse for refusing to carry out an illegal act and it doesn't bother you?

Now THAT'S baffling to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Just as well. The square is a lot safer if the cop thinks it's white.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

All cops are the same.

This is a black square

You're wrong it's black

30968168_001_s

Wont say how many times I clicked on and waited for the Youtube video at the bottom of your post to load until I realised. In my defence I'm very tired. :pac:

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Apparently it gets more murky.
    The unconscious patient was a victim of a crime. He was driving a lorry when a car driven by a criminal being chased by the police veered into his path. he was badly burned in the crash.

It's not known why the police were so keen to get a blood sample from him. He hadn't come to their attention or done anything to suggest that he had done anything wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

This has gone viral now with even the governor getting involved. I predict a P45 in someones future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

He's a maverick renegade.
    She's by-the-book nurse.

Together they are...
    Law and Orderly

He beats an
    She treats him

Starring John Hillerman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

That country is a horrendous kip of a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Apparently he has resigned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Saw it on FB earlier alright. Absolute madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Apparently it gets more murky.
    The unconscious patient was a victim of a crime. He was driving a lorry when a car driven by a criminal being chased by the police veered into his path. he was badly burned in the crash.

It's not known why the police were so keen to get a blood sample from him. He hadn't come to their attention or done anything to suggest that he had done anything wrong.

Probably covering their own asses. He wouldn't have been injured if the police weren't participating in the high speed chase. Maybe they were hoping to find drugs or alcohol in his system to deflect the blame. Plus lots of American police officers are on power trips

You live in a state where a policeman can attack a nurse for refusing to carry out an illegal act and it doesn't bother you?

Now THAT'S baffling to me.

I also live in a state where a guy was shot dead last year for trying to attack a witness in a court room while he was cuffed with a pen for testifying against him. 5 times in the back! The latter is something that I think is worth carrying about a little bit more.

The former is tame here, cops in the US can get jumped up over things. Utah is actually one of the better places surprisingly lol

A women in another state was terrified when she got pulled over that a cop would shoot her. His response was don't worry lady we only shoot black people. I guess I've become desensitized to it now.

I also live in a state where a guy was shot dead last year for trying to attack a witness in a court room while he was cuffed with a pen for testifying against him. 5 times in the back! The latter is something that I think is worth carrying about a little bit more.

The former is tame here, cops in the US can get jumped up over things. Utah is actually one of the better places surprisingly lol

A women in another state was terrified when she got pulled over that a cop would shoot her. His response was don't worry lady we only shoot black people. I guess I've become desensitized to it now.

I think that you should be concerned by how the police behave. Seriously concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

By your logic we shouldn't care about anything political in places beyond Ireland then yeah?
    It's baffling why you are on an Irish website on a thread which is debating something directly related to where you live..

bear1 wrote: »
    By your logic we shouldn't care about anything political in places beyond Ireland then yeah?
    It's baffling why you are on an Irish website on a thread which is debating something directly related to where you live..

Im Irish and have been using this site for 12 plus years hardly baffling that I would be using a forum to keep up on news and current affairs about a country I spend 30 plus years of my life living in.. I was commenting on the fact that lots of Irish people have become obsessed with the US and all the goings on here most have never even stepped foot in the place. (not like this matters). A good amount of my news feed on Facebook is Irish people talking about US politics. A chunk of stuff here is also related to US politics. Alt right nonsense or ANTIFa's latest antics or what has Trump done today. I was just commenting on this and musing of the fact that I live here and don't even care about stuff from this state that has made it into the media in my home country. I don't care what you do or what you read thats your choice how you spend your free time. I was just expressing my opinion right or wrong it still remains my opinion.

Note about the video released regarding the nurse. I just watched a full unedited 19 minute version of it and it appears from conversation that there is some on going contention between the hospital and law enforcement around the drawing of blood from people involved in traffic accidents. Hospital is trying to cover it's self from liability, law enforcement are just trying to do there job. I think it was over the top to arresting her. Has to be a better way of dealing with thins like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJPVglqR4yM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

It's easy to draw blood. It's just a solid contiguous irregular shape that needs to be coloured in red.

Advertisement