Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change colour of font

Options
  • 01-09-2017 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭

Hi,

No coding experience unfortunately but I'm hoping this might be a simple fix for those who do?

I have a bit of search box code which also has a checkbox underneath the search box. The text beside the check box reads

"Only search Wikipedia"

I want that piece of text to appear grey in colour\color but leave the font for the actual search term in the search input box itself as is (default black).

Can any of you give me the line of code I need to insert?

Here's what it looks like:

fb0fd3ea5f.JPG

Here's the code:
    <form method="get" action="http://www.google.com/search"&gt;
    <input type="text" name="q" size="25"
    maxlength="255" value="" />
    &nbsp
    <input type="submit" value="Google Search" /></td></tr>
    <tr><td align="center" style="font-size:75%">
    <br>
    <input type="checkbox" name="sitesearch"
    value="en.wikipedia.org" nocheck/> Only search Wikipedia<br />
    </td></tr></table>
    </div>
    </form>

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Something like this should do
              <form method="get" action="http://www.google.com/search">
          <input type="text" name="q" size="25" maxlength="255" value="" /> &nbsp
          <input type="submit" value="Google Search" /></td>
          </tr>
          <tr>
            <td align="center" style="font-size:75%">
              <br>
              <input type="checkbox" name="sitesearch" value="en.wikipedia.org" id="chkbox" nocheck/>
              <label for="chkbox" style="color:grey"> Only search Wikipedia</label><br />
            </td>
          </tr>
          </table>
          </div>
        </form>

In general inline styles aren't always a good idea, but it will do the job

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Thank you for taking the time to help out Buford T Justice, it's much appreciated ;)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Hi,

No coding experience unfortunately but I'm hoping this might be a simple fix for those who do?

I have a bit of search box code which also has a checkbox underneath the search box. The text beside the check box reads

"Only search Wikipedia"

I want that piece of text to appear grey in colour\color but leave the font for the actual search term in the search input box itself as is (default black).

Can any of you give me the line of code I need to insert?

Here's what it looks like:

fb0fd3ea5f.JPG

Here's the code:

One final aspect you might be able to help with?

I would like the input box and google Search button to be larger heightwise, maybe twice the height.

Can you help?

Just increase the size of the font inline.
    Link

Just increase the size of the font inline.
    Link

Thanks again Buford for sticking with me on this one :)

Unfortunately the font size in that code is set at 75% and increasing it has no effect on the height of the input box or Google search button. :confused:

• Advertisement

Thanks again Buford for sticking with me on this one :)

Unfortunately the font size in that code is set at 75% and increasing it has no effect on the height of the input box or Google search button. :confused:

The only part of the code you've posted with the 75% sizing should be the second table col, not the inputs. Regardless of this, the last inline style would / should take precedence. It works in the link i posted.

The only part of the code you've posted with the 75% sizing should be the second table col, not the inputs. Regardless of this, the last inline style would / should take precedence. It works in the link i posted.

I'm totally stupid :D I only just realised that the link you posted to Plunker is some sort of simulator that you can use to test code? something like the run feature in Notepad++.

Like I said, I'm a total nOOb with this stuff, I copied your snippet of code entirely and replace the existing code with it and it does do the trick now.

The one issue I have with it though, is that the font on the Google Search button and the font entered into the input box both look really bold and ugly! compared to the look of the font entered into the genuine Google homepage search box. It that because we are increasing the size of the font so much or has it anything to do wit the "em" in the size section of the code?

I'm totally stupid :D I only just realised that the link you posted to Plunker is some sort of simulator that you can use to test code? something like the run feature in Notepad++.

Like I said, I'm a total nOOb with this stuff, I copied your snippet of code entirely and replace the existing code with it and it does do the trick now.

The one issue I have with it though, is that the font on the Google Search button and the font entered into the input box both look really bold and ugly! compared to the look of the font entered into the genuine Google homepage search box. It that because we are increasing the size of the font so much or has it anything to do wit the "em" in the size section of the code?

em refers to the size of the font relative to the current font size. Its also using the default font style from the browser unless you've specified a different font, but I doubt it. Perhaps the example you're using to compare it to is a different font? chances are its not times new roman anyway

No, I have not specified a different font.

There's something not right about the way the font looks now that it's enlarged & if I increase the font size a tad more it gets even worse.

Have a look at these two screenshots of the same input in the same Browser.

The one from our code does not look great.

Here's a shot of the input and button as per the code from Plunker:

ed441cb986.PNG

And here is the same input used on the Google.ie Homepage:

cfe9bd3eda.PNG

And the input box on the legit Google page is larger!

I guess what I was really trying to achieve was to increase the size of the input box and the button itself, not the font size of both.

-

Use padding instead of increasing the font size if that's what you're trying to achieve.
    link

• Advertisement

Use padding instead of increasing the font size if that's what you're trying to achieve.
    link

Ah that's exactly what I was after Buford.

God bless your patience, a huge thanks once more;)

Advertisement