Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little help to newbie

Options
  • 01-09-2017 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all.
    I will be moving to Ireland soon, and im a bit ( too much) lost with current laws about road tax, insurance and all that.

In search for cars, im considering the options of pick ups cause of space cargo since with kids, bikes, shopping and all that, all the space on a regular car isnt enough. Me, wife and kids love to do some bike runs here and there and open spaces. Since in Ireland we have alot to see, 1 pick up seems the best for my goals.

Soo, i see road tax for pick ups its 333€ per year, but talking with a friend he told me that if i only use that kind of cars for private use, road tax will change and will be alot more. If i decide to not change the use for private, i will be limited to use the cargo space and if the Garda decides, they will give me a nice bill to pay. Since i dont want to start with the wrong foot and inside of a bunch of problems i would like more info about the subject.

Im looking for Navara`s , L200, Isusu D-Max for the moment. All of them 4x4 and CrewCab.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

If you buy a commercial vehicle like a pick up, before you can tax it commercially, you must fill out a RF111A form. This is a Goods Only decleration form which basically means that you will be using the vehicle for commercial use only. On the form you must state the nature of the work and your VAT number (your PPS number is the same). The signing of the decleration must be witnessed by a Garda.

Without this form you must tax the vhicle priviatly, which is based on engine size or for post July 2008, CO2 rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Sadly, the large 4x4 for private use is not well liked by the tax system. It's the reason so many crewcabs exist in very shady circumstances. For many of them it will be upwards of €1000 to tax . I suggest you consider an Amarok with the 2 litre diesel, it may be a lot more reasonable to tax than some of the others.

Caveat 1: Irish insurers are the next hurdle, many insist on commercial policies if the vehicle is classed as a commercial. If you don't have a commercial occupation, they can get funny about it too. (Some more than others)

Caveat 2: Even if you buy brand new, it will require a vehicle test every year. (€120 a pop)

Even post 2008 goes by engine cc if you change over.

Basically it's very difficult to run one legitimately without it costing a lot of cash

This country is weird sometimes

Advertisement