Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikes slow to sell at moment?

Options
  • 31-08-2017 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Watching a few bikes on DD..market seems slow and lots of price drops ..time of year?
    Would you be better off holding onto a bike now till spring to try sell it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Zipppy wrote: »
    Watching a few bikes on DD..market seems slow and lots of price drops ..time of year?
    Would you be better off holding onto a bike now till spring to try sell it?

Sterling at 8 year low is making the uk very appealing

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

(wrong window!)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Time of year isn't helping either, winter just around the corner. I've always found spring to be the bed time to sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Car99 wrote: »
    Sterling at 8 year low is making the uk very appealing

This time of year is always the time to buy. I would hold off selling until late next spring. I just went over to the UK to take advantage of the exchange rate and vastly better choices. I'll be bringing a bike back next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Reindeer wrote:
    This time of year is always the time to buy. I would hold off selling until late next spring. I just went over to the UK to take advantage of the exchange rate and vastly better choices. I'll be bringing a bike back next week.

what u buy? :)

• Advertisement

Zipppy wrote: »
    what u buy? :)

I'm an old timer from America. I am bringing back a Dyna SuperGlide. It was nearly 2K less than what they go for here. So a safe investment as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,282 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Sold a tiger 1050 recently and got 5 or 6 callers almost straight away asking me to hold it for them until they called.
    First guy that called bought it.

I also bought a Tuono recently.
    The lad I bought it off put it up late on a Friday night and I bought it on the Saturday morning.
    I was looking out for one with a while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭millingmachine

That's because a lot are going across the water to buy decent & well cared for bikes.
    Not like the crap that's for sale here.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I've noticed this too. Loads of seemingly lovely bikes hanging around for months. I also find the pricing bands pretty strange. Ancient sh1theaps with high mileage going for 3.5k, but really lovely bikes half the age and quarter the mileage struggling to go for 5k. This bike is almost the same as mine, he has been trying to sell it for 6 months. I texted him, he said a few calls from timewasters but nothing serious. Also a few lovely BMW K1200/1300s that are not moving at all.

Id love to see some stats from DoneDeal on what is actually selling and for how much. No Doubt the low sterling rate affects it but not everyone wants to go to the UK..

Zascar wrote: »
    ... This bike is almost the same as mine, he has been trying to sell it for 6 months. I texted him, he said a few calls from timewasters but nothing serious. Also a few lovely BMW K1200/1300s that are not moving at all. .

Looking at Ebay UK, similar bikes with half that mileage are asking nearly the same amount. The closest thing I could find in the model I was after had 50% more miles and was 2,700 euro more here in Ireland after the exchange rate. Whereas in the UK, I was literally spoiled for choice - it took me days searching ebay and gumtree, etc, and then a trip to the UK to 5 cities. Add in a nice ride back in traffic that makes ours look like a rally race in Spain, and it was sealed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement