Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compression joints and thread sealant/jointing compound

Options
  • 31-08-2017 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

I'm probably opening a can of worms here, but... what are people's views on using dope or thread sealant with compression fittings? And I mean on the olive gland, not the threads...

I know that in theory a brand new compression fitting needs nothing but perhaps some lube on the threads, but in reality I find that it can help to put some sealant on the olive when you're putting existing fittings back together to avoid any slight seeping afterwards.

And then there's the big question of which brand is best... I found Fernox LSX to be good but it's really almost like a silicone - always made me wonder if it might actually seal a bad fitting, say if the nut wasn't even properly tightened! Never actually tested this out though...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

I use
    Ptfe on new compression fittings.
    Stag (uni red) and hemp when remaking old fittings.

Heating pipes only.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

You can't go wrong with uni white. Only use uniwhte and hemp if it's a metric fitting and Irish pipe.
    Can't stand boss white and co. The fcuking smell alone. But it also hardens.

I've never used anything on a correct compression fitting.

gary71 wrote: »
    Aaah
    But can you bend 1/2" pipe ?

I rest my case.:)

Personal joke/message ��

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Escapees

Even when remaking an existing one?

I often find I'm left with a really slight seep after - which wouldn't really do any harm I suppose and would seal itself over time, but still... a bone dry joint let's me sleep better at night!

• Advertisement

:eek:
    Escapees wrote: »
    Even when remaking an existing one?

I often find I'm left with a really slight seep after - which wouldn't really do any harm I suppose and would seal itself over time, but still... a bone dry joint let's me sleep better at night!

I'm more of a solder and flux person to be honest but never found the need to add too a compression fitting in general but if I had a problem I'd respond to it, but that doesn't mean every joint needs extra love as the compression process is a time proven process and it was how British Gas trained me.

Sorry, to clarify, it's not that I won't use extras on a compression fitting as I will:eek: but I respond to whatever fault is in front of me and if a manky fitting needs more love I'll give it but a well supported well clipped pipe work installing is less likely to have problems I find.

I'm more of a solder and flux person to be honest but never found the need to add too a compression fitting in general but if I had a problem I'd respond to it, but that doesn't mean every joint needs extra love as the compression process is a time proven process and it was how British Gas trained me.

Great Britain: Gas leak - the house explodes ''li…: http://youtu.be/DgWAenS9kzc

Tom44 wrote: »
    Aaah
    But can you bend 1/2" pipe ?

I rest my case.:)

Personal joke/message ��

Nope, I'm more of 10mm man now in my older years and get to use my pronounced Kadasion like buttocks to knock out my double double sets:P

Tom44 wrote: »
    Great Britain: Gas leak - the house explodes ''li…: http://youtu.be/DgWAenS9kzc

I was a emergency first responder for British Gas for many years and fully understand the ease at which deaths and explosions occur (none due to my working practices) I do not fear fitting compression fittings in the manner in which I have been trained and in the time I've been working I haven't found anything to change my mind (yet)but every day is a school day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I was a emergency first responder for British Gas for many years and fully understand the ease at which deaths and explosions occur (none due to my working practices) I do not fear fitting compression fittings in the manor in which I have been trained and in the time I've been working I haven't found anything to change my mind (yet)but every day is a school day.

Manner, every day's a school day..

• Advertisement

jca wrote: »
    Manner, every day's a school day..

:D

I'd of got away with it if we had a few more Manor houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

:D

I'd of got away with it if we had a few more Manor houses.

If you were a gangster you could say they were on you manor...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I've never used anything. Plenty of plumbers do though just to be sure. It's all about peace of mind imo. If you feel like you need to then use something. If I were to use anything it would be gas tape

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

There was a time when the market was flooded with cheap badly made fittings where the fit was always a bit on the loose side with crappy olives.
    At the time I got into the habit of a putting a quick wrap of gas tape on them to compensate for the slack, it just became a habit when I'm using compression, but i still prefer to use solder joints.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    At the time I got into the habit of a putting a quick wrap of gas tape on them to compensate for the slack, it just became a habit when I'm using compression

Isn't that meant to be one of the deadly sins in the plumbing world??!

Isn't that meant to be one of the deadly sins in the plumbing world??!

Nope, called peace of mind.
    When I started, decades ago, fittings were nice snug fit, other than a dab of Boss nothing else was needed.
    Then cheap and nasty loose fittings came along with lousy olives and you had to compensate with a bit of tape and it just became a habit.
    The tolerances have improved a bit since, but not really as good as they were.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Nope, called peace of mind.
    When I started, decades ago, fittings were nice snug fit, other than a dab of Boss nothing else was needed.
    Then cheap and nasty loose fittings came along with lousy olives and you had to compensate with a bit of tape and it just became a habit.
    The tolerances have improved a bit since, but not really as good as they were.

I'm learning tonight...! I'd come across a lot of stuff on the net that shuns the notion of using PTFE tape on an olive and that's why I've never gone there... but I'd instinctively have more faith in a joint sealed this way than with pipe jointing compounds or the like.

I'm learning tonight...! I'd come across a lot of stuff on the net that shuns the notion of using PTFE tape on an olive and that's why I've never gone there... but I'd instinctively have more faith in a joint sealed this way than with pipe jointing compounds or the like.

Sorry, I should add so long as it's done right of course - as in no tape trailing off into the pipe etc.

Sorry, I should add so long as it's done right of course - as in no tape trailing off into the pipe etc.

.. or onto the threads :D.
    It just a wrap on the mating side of the olive.

Advertisement