Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant, quick spiders

Options
  • 31-08-2017 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭

In Armagh 2 weeks ago, I became aware of the presence of a quite huge spider whilst in my Mum's house. I promptly collected it in a glass and removed it to le jardin.

Tonight, Mrs Mellie's squeals alerted me to the presence of the same monstrous beast in our living room in Dublin. I promptly collected it in a glass and removed it to le jardin.

Armagh to Dublin is 114km as the crow flies. This means this large arachnid is prowling our island at a speed of at least one third of a kilometre per hour.

Just to let you all know that it's out there and there may be others.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Was it a Catholic or Protestant spider?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Called the Giant House Spider (Eratigena atria) and very common.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I just had to go and Google image that, no sleep for me tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I prefer the OPs hypothesis:)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,925 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think I saw this on Starship Troopers... they are using meteoroid showers as cover...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Web-ons decomisioning eh? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

The only solution is to burn the entire country to the ground..lets see those eight legged f*ckers outrun a blazing fire

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not as stupid a question as you might think.

Long-eared bats build nests in Roman Catholic chapels, while Natterer's bats live in the eaves of Anglican churches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Quite used to them now as they always be about at this time of the year. They have long legs and that makes them look a lot bigger than they are. Their body is normally not that big.

There are just looking the ride. (Off another spider I might add)

They keep the other annoying bugs and flies in check. Spiders are our allies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

timthumbni wrote: »

There are just looking the ride. (Off another spider I might add)

The males usually get eaten.*

*Suggest readers dont try this at home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

The males usually get eaten.*

*Suggest readers dont try this at home

I always thought the big ones were the males. They aren't black widows.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

We had a giant spider in the house tonight. Now we are homeless…

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

Came home tonight to find a spider at least 3 inches from toe to toe (crouching!) sitting right about my front door...do house spiders usually hang around outdoors or is this some new horror that I'll have to shut the windows to try and keep out? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

This little fella has been wandering around for the last couple of days. He's good company. For the most part he just keeps to himself but it's reassuring to know I have someone there to talk to if I get lonely.

426736.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Caught a huge spider in the bathroom two nights ago and swiftly deported him to the garden in a glass.

Weathers getting cold and spiders try to go indoors for the autumn, its very normal and this is an annual thing and I've seen it on FB before.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,351 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Inched down the thread slowly post by post to avoid getting rudely surprised by a close up of a spider. It was all going so well...

Had two of them running about here the last day. Can't say I was too fond of them. I know someone is going to come along and say, (imitates know it all voice) "Well that's the common utterly massive hairy freakish house spider/cat, nothing unusual there!" but, jesus, I don't know, they seemed pretty fcking big to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭caniask86

Stalker spider alert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I thought you said 'You alright spider'

Your Face wrote: »
    I thought you said 'You alright spider'

We go way back me and that hairy thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

3c938322bebd356ecf528a3b30f4e133b48ccb3594125a6d37811a2ad25abbd7.jpg

• Advertisement

3c938322bebd356ecf528a3b30f4e133b48ccb3594125a6d37811a2ad25abbd7.jpg

This made me feel sorry for spiders

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

problem with these feckers is that they appear to be, unlike most spiders, able to actually look at you :eek: they'd be running across the room when you come in and they just fecking stop and stare. Freaks me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

September is mating time where the male gets the ride and the female kills and eats the male, all of him :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

I find spiders fascinating. Always have since I was a child, always looking for them outside and saving the ones in the house from would be killers.:pac:

A few nights ago in bed I could feel something on my arm, looked over and there one was, looking right at me. I put him on the floor and continued watching T.V, couple of hours later it reappeared on the bed, I could see the silhouette moving briskly across the duvet, anyway I put it on the floor again and the following morning it was on the ceiling...its still up there.

Not as big as the guy in the picture above but still a nice size.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

while Natterer's bats live in the eaves of Anglican churches.

Had one of these here before. You can't shut them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

The False Widow is the only one you have to be wary of. They are becoming more common here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Mam and Dad have one in the bath the size of an apple. They have to lift him out to have a shower because he's too big to get in beside. I could hear him tapping a front leg in warning the last time I peeped in at him. I should stop calling it a him because she's a laydee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I haven't seen my spider since yesterday. I saw one on the kitchen floor last night with only six legs but I think that was a different one. I was going to move that one to safety before he lost another leg or worse but he ran off.

I still don't know where my friend is. I'm getting worried now. You hear about people losing their spider but you never think it will happen to you.

If you have a spider you care about tell him or her you love them. Tomorrow might be too late. I have to stop typing now. I can barely see my computer screen through the tears in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Anyone remember Spider bro

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I can live with flies and spiders but I can not stand those spiteful wasps. Evil little .....

Advertisement