Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metformin as an anti-ageing/ anti cancer drug

Options
  • 31-08-2017 8:28pm

As most users will know, Metformin (eg brand-name Glucophage) is indicated for Type 2 Diabetes.

After hearing a radio report on this topic earlier today (by Prof Luke O'Neill of TCD), I did some research. I have attached a scientific paper to this post, which offers a review of current literature on the properties of Metformin and on its possible alternative uses, in terms of increasing longevity; decreasing the risk of cancer; and, as an anti-ageing medication.

Although the review indicates that further study is required, it describes the current conclusions on the alternative uses of Metformin as 'promising'.

As someone with a family history of cancer, and as a former (heavy) smoker, this is something I'm especially (but cautiously) interested in.

Any opinions or critiques of this?

(Warning: clicking on the link below will download the PDF to your device)

http://www.phmd.pl/fulltxt.php?ICID=1232528
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Like many potential therapies we have no idea unless it is specifically studied. Almost Everyone with type 2 diabetes would be on metformin, I don't think the incidence of cancer is lower in that group.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Like many potential therapies we have no idea unless it is specifically studied. Almost Everyone with type 2 diabetes would be on metformin, I don't think the incidence of cancer is lower in that group.

Even if the incidence was lower, it'd be difficult to separate any effect of metformin from the various other prognostic factors that people taking metformin may have (type 2 diabetes, perhaps more likely to be overweight compared to patients taking sulfonylureas). There have actually been a number of studies looking at metformin and cancer (a couple of systematic reviews looking at cancer prevention and treatment). The issue with most of these studies is that they are observational, so the issue of bias comes into it again that patients prescribed metformin versus other diabetic drugs may be different in ways that also impact on cancer incidence/progression. Likewise, even if metformin was effective in these patients, it may not be effective in non-diabetic patients.

There seems to be a randomised trial underway testing the efficacy of metformin versus placebo as adjuvant therapy in breast cancer. This overcomes the issues with the cohort studies given the only thing determining whether patients receive metformin or placebo is random chance. Also, unlike some previous analyses which looked at trials of metformin to see was there a difference in cancer incidence, this trial is specifically designed to be study this, so should be large and long enough to detect an effect if there is one.

Although common drugs like metformin or aspirin may have potential in preventing or treating cancer, I think evidence from randomised trials is needed first.

Advertisement