Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disney's Coco 2017 New Pixar ;-)

Options
  • 31-08-2017 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

New Disney Pixar Movie Coco, Nice to see a stand alone film that doesn't involve extended universes or sequels...I love pixar and I am looking forward to this one, hopefully it captures some of the magic that Up did way back in 2009,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Doesn't give much away, but I like the look of it :)

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

Here we go wrote: »
    Holy crap....it is very similar haha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

This is happening today

https://twitter.com/DisneyStudiosIE/status/953300379156008960

Looking forward to the release of Coco, not long to go now!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I liked it a lot. Not as much as other Pixar stuff, but highly enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Watched it a couple of weeks ago with my little.lad and he loves it. Great story

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭El Duda

Coco - 7.5/10

It took quite a while for this film to really grab me which is rare for a Pixar film. As an ignorant Englishman I couldn't help but feel a sense of detachment from the Mexican culture that is depicted here. Luckily though, Pixar manage to make it accessible for everyone and as the story develops, the themes become more universal and relatable.

A new Pixar film always brings new ideas and a new world to explore. They have a great knack of exploring their concepts and filling the screen with witty, subtle and visual gags. I didn't feel the same sense of fun and play with the Land of the Dead. There were some great ideas and it was visually stunning, but i didn't feel like they explored it to its full potential.

Pixar films usually destroy me emotionally and whilst I did get 'something' in my eye, it didn't reduce me to tears in the same way that Inside Out, Toy Story 3 and Up did. A slight disappointment by Pixars insanely high standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Really enjoyed the film but it took a while for me to really get in to it. Two things were grating on me, the dog humour and motivation why the whole family won't allow music into their lives. By the time you learn more I don't think it really passes muster for generations of the family to not have it in their lives when it's clearly engrained in the culture of everyone around them. I know it's an animation and I should be so concerned, I think it's just because it's Pixar I have it held to higher levels of storytelling.

The dog was just annoying, it was like the director would see a few seconds of footage and say "cut to the dog doing something stupid". I was relieved by the time there was some time out from him and it could focus on the Miguel and Hector.

By that stage the film got going and there was two moments where I felt a big old lump in my throat. Though I do feel they could have easily tugged harder on the heartstrings where that was concerned and maybe they would have got a tear or two out of me.

Overall it's a cute, fun film and Pixar doing a solid 4/5.

One other thing
    Hector is made look like a stand up guy in the flashbacks but he's all slapstick in the afterlife. I'd have loved a bit of something to connect the two different personality types.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Here we go wrote: »

Yes thought similar to The Book of Life also

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Finally got around to seeing this yesterday and am left feeling a bit disappointed. Overall it feels much more like a Disney animated feature than a Pixar production, especially with the way that the theme as stated ("family is important") is very much at odds with what is shown ("family are a bunch of overbearing ignorant blowhards").

The visual design is striking, but beyond that it doesn't really feel like Coco did anything all that different to Book of Life. If anything, I think BoL did a better job of balancing pace and narrative - by the third act of Coco there were a few moments where things felt overly drawn out that Pixar films normally handle better.

There's a definite silly aspect to banning music from the entire family (instead of just, say, banning pursuit of music as a profession) to the story. Ditto the way that
    Hector's death was presumably studiously ignored by the Rivera family at the time, despite Ernesto going on to use his guitar and songs while Coco had letters showing they were written by Hector.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A gifted studio making one of their least interesting films yet. Coco is not by any means lacking in craft or even moments of wonder & thoughtfulness: most of the time, though, it just feels like it has had most of the interesting edges smoothed off.

There was once a time when I thought the 'brain trust' that helped craft Pixar films into efficient machines was a good thing, given they kept making diamonds out of unlikely elements. But for a few years now they've been stuck in a rut, a few exceptions aside. Coco is particularly by the numbers in so many respects - the way the story unfolds in particular feels formulaic in the way great Pixar films rarely do even when they are formulaic. As Fysh suggested, this also has a tendency of overly relying on a fairly silly premise - almost like they couldn't find a more effective way to explore the themes they wanted to, so they settled on the lazy option.

I couldn't shake the feeling as they crossed the bridge into the land of the dead that this was directly nodding to Spirited Away, which too concerned a youngster finding herself transported to an otherworldly realm via a bridge crowded with mysterious creatures. But whereas Miyazaki's masterpiece (one of several) proved to be a great director pushing himself in another direction, no such luck here. Coco may have some beautiful visuals and is full of life (despite, y'know, all the death), but it all feels empty. I'm kind of sick of saying this, but Pixar need to learn from their acknowledged hero Miyazaki and push themselves again rather than just producing pretty, expensive variations on a theme. Fingers still very much crossed for Incredibles 2, mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Loved it. I honestly haven't one bad thing to say about Coco and can honestly say I enjoyed it more than Inside Out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭Koala Sunshine

Another masterpiece from Pixar, beautiful film visually and emotionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Absolutely loved it and it had me in bits at the end . Probably because I lost a family member not too long ago but yeah I don't agree with a lot of the comments on here but that's fine. I really enjoyed it anyway one of my favourite pixar films

Advertisement