Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fused spur with WiFi

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

I'm open to correction here but aren't immersion circuits 40amp?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'm open to correction here but aren't immersion circuits 40amp?

No.

That's an electrical shower.

20Amp usually. Most immersions at 3KW. That's 13 amps.

This is fused at 13 amps to the limit but it's designed to run at it.

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Does the app for this work outside of the wifi zone it's connected to (i.e. via the internet?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Does it store the timer schedule locally for if the network is down?

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Never mind, I found it: http://www.timeguard.com/products/time/immersion-and-general-purpose-timeswitches/wi-fi-controlled-fused-spur

Apparently the system works over 4G, but theres no mention of what service provider is in-between.

The programmes can be stored for up to 4 weeks in the event of a power failure

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Does it store the timer schedule locally for if the network is down?

The 16 amp SONOFF stores settings to the device too.

You'd obviously need to protect it with a spur. That's an option, these are just more practical, one box and a nice button outside.

The button for manual use on the SONOFF is difficult to access while having it accessable.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

Has anyone connected one of these up to an immersion? I was thinking of getting one. Also does anyone know if these can be controlled by Amazon echo or Google home?

Which one Steve, what device are you asking about

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

Something like this one
    https://www.greentherm.ie/product/wi-fi-controlled-fused-spur/

or this.

https://www.alertelectrical.com/optimum-connect-wi-fi-socket-box-mounted-time-switch-op-sbwf01.html

Which one would be best to use for an immersion that also works with alexa?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Spocker wrote: »
    Never mind, I found it: http://www.timeguard.com/products/time/immersion-and-general-purpose-timeswitches/wi-fi-controlled-fused-spur

Apparently the system works over 4G, but theres no mention of what service provider is in-between.

The programmes can be stored for up to 4 weeks in the event of a power failure

Anyone uses this?
    Seems the best for the price that I've found.
    Anyone any recommendations?
    Using it for my heating system.

• Advertisement

They are fine. Something else to setup if you change your password, but good for an immersion and constant load

Wound need to be outside not inside the hot press though

Btw , if is for a less than 5 amp load the SONOFF for 10 euro will do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Stoner wrote: »
    They are fine. Something else to setup if you change your password, but good for an immersion and constant load

Wound need to be outside not inside the hot press though

Yeah will use it for heating system.
    Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

anyone actually using these? interested as a timer for my electric towel rails (300w) as a measure of ensuring they're not left on, and to try and have them warm for when they're most likely to be be used for warm towels for shower

I've used them all.

For 300 Watts the SONOFF 10amp unit will be fine.

Put a fused switched spur before it, then have it in surface box after the spur. Fuse the spur at 3amps
    Don't ever put 13amp fuse in it.

Stoner wrote: »
    I've used them all.

For 300 Watts the SONOFF 10amp unit will be fine.

Put a fused switched spur before it, then have it in surface box after the spur. Fuse the spur at 3amps
    Don't ever put 13amp fuse in it.

There's not the space in the surface box for the sonoff I think, it's a single gang one installed, block walls. Will try it, but I doubt it'll fit. I could possibly get away with one of the 1gang switches, they're 2 amps, and there'd be live and neutral there for it

Found this
    https://shelly.cloud/shelly1-open-source/
    which seems to be designed to fit into a switch box - it's tiny, but has exposed screw-terminal connectors, so definitely needs to be in some sort of enclosure.

Can also be flashed with tasmota etc to integrate with openhab.
    Preordered - not as cheap as sonoff, but 14 euro delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

By the way they appear to be selling the 13A wifi fused spur on Amazon for much less than Greentherm:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Timeguard-Controlled-Timeswitch-Socket-FSTWIFI-White/dp/B07228W28L

I've used them. They are good.

My lightwaverf relay has a built in mechanical timer, so when I juice it up it will only stay on for a set amount of time form 30 seconds to 8 hours in intervals

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

Hi,

an old thread so perhaps not in use but wondering why the switch would need to be outside the hot press?

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Advertisement
Advertisement