Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tibbadoo!

Options
  • 31-08-2017 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭

I hate three letter abbreviations but the tech, business and hipster worlds are unfortunately littered with them and there seems to be no escaping. Many of them have double, triple and quadruple meanings. It's gone silly. I propose the most common and generic ones should be made into words by stuffing them with vowels as required to make them easy to pronounce. Inventing new words is underrated anyway.

One that kept popping up was 'TBD'. Usually on spec sheets of upcoming bits of hardware that would never see the light of day. There was never any reason to find out what TBD stood for, because I knew what it meant - that the product being described was probably "vapourware" and your grave will be covered with moss before you'll be able to buy one. So to me it was always pronounced as 'Tibbadoo' and that was that.

If there's anyone here giving a TED talk, a speech to a herd of business execs in the convention centre or writing a spec sheet that will be read by millions please try and slip the word tibbadoo in there somewhere instead of TBD and let me know how you get on. Just for the craic

Comments

Advertisement