Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I get a Physics degree?

Options
  • 30-08-2017 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am wondering if a physics degree is even worth it?(I am saying this because I have seen people say it's like a gamble in terms of actually getting a job. But this was nearly 5 or so years ago.) I do like physics, but if I end up having to do a job which I am not too fond of, or something of the sort then I am not sure. I am also willing to get a masters or a PhD, if there are jobs available to me. So I would like to know what are my options if I do get a degree in physics.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

IMO (and I hold a B.Sc. & Ph.D.) Physics is a subject you study because you have an interest in it. It's not particularly a subject that you study to lead to a career.

I no longer work in Physics, or indeed the Sciences or teaching. But I do have a good career.

If I look at my class and outsde of those who stayed researching, there are some teaching at secondary school level, there are people involved in computer games design, finance, risk management, consulting and scientific instrumentation. The potential is endless once you have a good degree behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

The subject is dropped in some schools due to lack of pupils interested .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

If you are interested in Physics then definitely, there are loads of paths that it will open up to you. Is it better or worse than another degree? Some yes, but mostly it depends on what you are interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

3 friends of mine did physics degrees about 15 years ago, all now work in automation with salaries ranging from 75-140 k plus bonus
    Theirs loads of possibilities with physics

Advertisement