Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Largest bet you've placed?

• 30-08-2017 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm considering placing a fairly large GAA bet in the coming weeks, and PP online is telling me that there is a limit on doing it online and to ring a certain number. So how does that work? I ring them up and place the bet with my laser card over the phone?

What's the largest bet you have placed, and how did you go about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Little Bubbles

Largest was 100 euro to win 10 and guess what.. he lost. Typical. There's no such thing as a cert so be wary how much you put on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Shurwhynot wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm considering placing a fairly large GAA bet in the coming weeks, and PP online is telling me that there is a limit on doing it online and to ring a certain number. So how does that work? I ring them up and place the bet with my laser card over the phone?

There is probably a limit on your account and you need to have it re-set or removed.

If this is a one off bet if you like and you don't intend making a habit of it, probably just better to go to a shop and place the bet there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Fill the car with petrol and get to all the shops in your area!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,598 ✭✭✭shmeee

Don't do it online anyway, as GAA is such a small market, your future bets will be limited if this bet comes in and account restricted.

Go to a few Paddy Power shops in the area and get on the bets as copper_pipe said above. With GAA a bet of €1,000 may be looked at. A few hundred will be put through unless its a market such as All Star's etc where they will be wary and have to ring it in.

Do you mind asking what kind of bet it is?

On a match? A outright market for a county championship etc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

129 grand

Won a million plus change..bought a pulperia and a whore house..two years I'd lost the lot and very nearly my life ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

shmeee wrote: »
    Don't do it online anyway, as GAA is such a small market, your future bets will be limited if this bet comes in and account restricted.

Go to a few Paddy Power shops in the area and get on the bets as copper_pipe said above. With GAA a bet of €1,000 may be looked at. A few hundred will be put through unless its a market such as All Star's etc where they will be wary and have to ring it in.

Do you mind asking what kind of bet it is?

On a match? A outright market for a county championship etc?

It's 2 outright bets in a double - one All Ireland and one County Championship which is currently at QF stage, so nothing suspicious, just a strong fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,598 ✭✭✭shmeee

It's 2 outright bets in a double - one All Ireland and one County Championship which is currently at QF stage, so nothing suspicious, just a strong fancy.

Do it in a shop so, go to a few different shops even. Can't see that bet being too much trouble to get on a few hundred here and there.

Most bookies have county championships priced up so you could hit a Boyles, Ladbrokes and a Paddy Power all in the one town easily.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I offered to run down our village naked if Mayo beat Kerry. Needless to say I forfeited luckily for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭factnee

What are you putting it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Largest was 100 euro to win 10 and guess what.. he lost. Typical. There's no such thing as a cert so be wary how much you put on

What was the bet if you don't mind me asking?

And in the name of jebus why were you backing a 1/10 single?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Put a 50 on a 3/1 horse and it won...pissed drunk and got more pissed...not that amazing I know but its all ive got.
    Know one lad who regularly puts up to a grand bets on football matches...its good when he wins,unbearable when he loses.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pmcb

I put 500 euro on a double one time to win 850 euro. Juventus and Chelsea to win their champions league group games. Juventus scored early on. Both won 1-0. John Terry scored the winner in the 76th minute. It was the longest 14minutes plus injury time in my life. Will never put myself thru that again. I was trying to pay of 2000 euro on my credit card. Even though that bet paid off that time... It was stupid, if I kept gambling like that things could spiral out of control. Do mainly gaa and soccer bets. Max 25 euro.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

you may tell us the club team you are going for now.... The suspense

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Guffy

Had 600 on liverpool everton double one winter. Everton were playing palace i think but it was called off and liverpool beat fulham (or swansea) by a late late peno (or free).

First and last time I've put more than i could afford to lose on a wager.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭slimshady007

Biggest was €600 on United at 5/6 to beat Porto away in a CL game years ago. Logic been that United had to win the 2nd leg to go through so they'd be going all out for the win. Ronaldo knocked in a 40 odd yard screamer but it was torturous watch thereafter with it staying at 1-0 to the end. I was young and feckless with no responsibilities at the time but that's all changed so no way I could bet that sort of money now.

As for your bet, take the above posters advice and do it in shops - you'll ruin your online account limit otherwise if it does come in. Bookies tend to have quite different prices for GAA, especially club championships, so make sure you get the best price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Please pass on your tip and amount you put on it after you back it please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭munster87

Lost over 2 grand in a couple of minutes playing roulette before. In a single bet most I staked would just be a couple hundred or so

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Division

It depends on what you want to bet on.

If its some little local game then you won't be allowed bet much so you will have to go to a few shops a few times.

Ifs its the all ireland final you could walk in to a shop and bet €10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Everything is relative - tell us the bet now!

Bateman wrote: »
    Everything is relative - tell us the bet now!

I'd rather not jinx it - I'm a little bit superstitious about these things!

But the first part of it was Dublin to win the AI, so that's in. The second part is a team to win their county championship. I actually turned it into a treble, with a team to win their Champs League group. Split it between 2 shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I'd rather not jinx it - I'm a little bit superstitious about these things!

But the first part of it was Dublin to win the AI, so that's in. The second part is a team to win their county championship. I actually turned it into a treble, with a team to win their Champs League group. Split it between 2 shops.

How much was the bet?

How much was the bet?

€1k

€1k

good luck wih it anyway. Make sure you let us know when it comes in!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭zimmermania

I had a large political bet on a person to win a seat in the last general election about 3 or 4 days before polling day,the odds were 4/5,the bet was fairly substantial.

I went to a shop PP where I was not known to the staff,the young guy rang in the bet and it was accepted without a bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

Who was the bet on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭zimmermania

ANDREWMUFC wrote: »
    Who was the bet on

It is really not relevant who the person was but it was a sitting td who many expected to lose and after 8 weeks campaigning I felt the person would win and I felt it was a 2/5 shot rather than 4/5.

It is really not relevant who the person was but it was a sitting td who many expected to lose and after 8 weeks campaigning I felt the person would win and I felt it was a 2/5 shot rather than 4/5.

Are you the t.d. And did you bet on yourself?
    Is that allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I put 20 each way on sergio garcia to win the us masters this year at 40/1. collected 1000 even from the bookies : )

I put 20 each way on sergio garcia to win the us masters this year at 40/1. collected 1000 even from the bookies : )[/QUOTE

]That felt like a sweet one id say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Any Boardsie like to confess having (much) money on Leicester City for their big one?

Advertisement