Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferred place last year, qualified for language module under old requirements but no

Options
  • 30-08-2017 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Ok, has anyone any idea if this should be the case or not

My daughter did her leaving cert last year, got offered her first choice, but deferred her place to save for college for a year. She met the requirements for her preferred language module of her course at the time, C3.

She received her deferred place offer this July, and accepted it, well before any results or CAO points were decided for this year, so based on last years points and requirements.

Now it appears that the requirements for the language module have changed in line with the new leaving cert grading system, and she is .01% off making that grade! (The requirement was C3 last year and it's now H4)

She can't choose the beginner language option as she studied the language after Junior Cert, but she doesn't qualify for the intermediate language as she's .01% off the requirement.
    She obviously can't get her language exam from last year rechecked to possibly increase her grade, and she didn't need it rechecked last year as she met the requirement!

So I'm wondering if she has a leg to stand on to fight this with the admissions office?
    Why is she being assessed under the new requirements when she's a deferred place and secured her place from last year as a result of meeting the requirements at the time?

It seems ludicrous to make her choose a beginner module of a new language rather than continue the one she studied for 5yrs and would have been able to choose had she taken her place last year!

Any thoughts on this??

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

She has her place and accepted it.

Has anyone from the college said she does not have a place?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Has anyone actually told her she can't study it? They obviously converted a C3 to a H4 thinking it was equivalent, so it makes no sense to prevent her from studying it. I know in UCD they require a C3 for French, for example, but in practice they have no idea what grades the people registering have.

In any case, I'd point out that there was no warning and, as you said, the exam can no longer be rechecked. I don't know if she kept up the language while working or not, but saying she did could make them more willing to let her in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

spurious wrote: »
    She has her place and accepted it.

Has anyone from the college said she does not have a place?
    If I'm reading it correctly, she has a place on the course, it's this issue:
    It seems ludicrous to make her choose a beginner module of a new language rather than continue the one she studied for 5yrs and would have been able to choose had she taken her place last year!
    The question you're both (basically) asking is a good one though: has she actually been refused entry to the module, or is she simply panicking because on paper she's a fraction under the new requirement?

I would be very surprised at any college trying to enforce this, especially given that she deferred and there's been a change in both the grading system and the requirement in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Thanks, it's part of her online registration that she must choose her modules/electives before she can complete the registration, and it wasn't giving her the option to choose the language she wanted, so therefore she couldn't complete it without choosing something else.

She went to admissions to see if there was anyway around it, and they suggest contacting the head of the language department and go from there
    So we are hoping it's a simple case of choosing anything now to complete the registration form and then a change of subject via the language department. Fingers crossed there's no issue with class numbers.

Advertisement