Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The slang term spacer in dublin meaning?

Options
  • 30-08-2017 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

I know somebody that was called this but not a clue what it means...any help? thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Spacer, space-cadet, star-child - all synonymous with being a bit other-worldly in the strange and/or dozy sense.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Addicted to coddle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Headcase, nutcase, mentaller, without your full faculties etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

If you don't know what that means, you must be a spacer!

(We have human and non-human spacers in work. The non-human version is usually a bushing of some sort.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

(Junkie) airhead, like a hot air balloon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Think Spacer has pretty much the same meaning all over Ireland. Bit empty between the ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dramatik

New age hippie type people = spacers

Somebody who day dreams a lot = spacer

If someone says something that you don't think makes sense, you would reply ' what're ye on, ye bleedin' spacer'

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

Being more polite down here in west Cork we might say that he is wired to the Moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

short for space cadet. Can be used as a term of derision, explanation and even admiration, depending on intonation.
    1. when subject does something stupid - What a fookin spacer:rolleyes:
    2. The answer as to why subject did it - Cos he's a fookin spacer.
    3. Subject does something zany in a "wish i had tbought of that" way - Ya fookin SPACER!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Headcase, nutcase, mentaller, without your full faculties etc.
    These would all usually be associated with someone who's a bit violent. The guy who seemed to always be in trouble with the guards and you'd be wary of crossing lest he hits you with a brick for the craic. That's a headcase.

A spacer is similarly someone who's a bit special or does their own thing, but in a non-threatening way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

The best analogy or example of being a ''spacer'' would be Fr. Dougal Maguire

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Addicted to coddle

But then everyone in Dublin would be a spacer apparently.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Spacers eat coddle for breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Someone who is foolish or with grossly unrealistic expectations or is delusional due to a lack of critical analysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Probably comes from "space cadet", an American insult* probably aimed at those who spent their Summer vacation at Space Camp. Which sounds cool to me.

*such a contradiction given the intelligence and physical fitness required to be a candidate for space flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

seamus wrote: »
    These would all usually be associated with someone who's a bit violent. The guy who seemed to always be in trouble with the guards and you'd be wary of crossing lest he hits you with a brick for the craic. That's a headcase.

A spacer is similarly someone who's a bit special or does their own thing, but in a non-threatening way.

Duuno, maybe it's localised within Dublin itself. As kids we wouldn't have associated those terms with violence, they'd be headers/head the balls, or just scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Duuno, maybe it's localised within Dublin itself. As kids we wouldn't have associated those terms with violence, they'd be headers/head the balls, or just scumbags.

Headcase is someone who's really neurotic and gets wound up over really little thngs

Spacers are people who are 'spaced out', like you'd have to call them 3 times before they're answer you because they're lost in their own world
    Spacers are often 'Away with the Faeries'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Faaaaack off. I'm a fry up man.

P.S A spacer is a term for someone who is a bit mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Spacers are what you put between double wheels on the Zetor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Lot of spacers on zetors alright.

• Advertisement

"Space cadet" - widely in use in the 1980s to describe somebody who was consistently away with the fairies/a dosy bastard. "Jesus that lad does be some space cadet", or in Dublinese, 'Jaysas, that lad does be some dosy bleedin' bastard - wrecks me buzz so he does."

It's all "mate", "buddy" and "pal" these days and the colour of language is far the less for it. Feckin' eejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I love sitting on public transport close to inner city Dubs.

The accents and expressions are just so funny at times. I often have to suppress my laughter by fabricating a fit of coughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

I love sitting on public transport close to inner city Dubs.

The accents and expressions are just so funny at times. I often have to suppress my laughter by fabricating a fit of coughing.

If I was sitting beside you I'd give you a DEFTLEFTHAND for sheer cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I like them though. Real Dubliners. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

A spacer is a harmless sort. Boards moderator, manga fan, train spotter, PC gamer, wallet chain wearer.

It's a head-the-ball you want to avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

In my family and in my circle of friends "spacer" always referred to somebody who was a bit mad, i.e. A bit of a head case. Not in a derogatory sense. If your mate did something you'd laugh and call him a spacer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Spacer - very close to a nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I was minding my own business walking home one day last year when a local arsehole in my area called me a spacer. All he does every day he wastes his dole money in the local off licence or garage to buy drink or goes to the bookies to spend his money on the horses. He has never been nice to me in a verbal manner when I encounter him on the street. I even saw him on the bus one evening with his eyes stone red being high on drugs.

Ha! What a nobody I'd say.

Advertisement