Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adoption Bill 2016

Options
  • 30-08-2017 10:18am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know what is the state of play with the Adoption Bill?

Has it been enacted yet, and if not, is there a time frame for when that might happen?

And further to that, what benefits if any, do you think adopted people will gain by its enactment?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mindurown

hermy, Is that the Adoption Amendment Act or the Adoption Tracing Bill?

The Adoption Amendment Act passed in July but has not commenced yet. Its for adoption of children in different situations such as voluntary placement or a child of married parents which is not allowed now.

If its the Adoption Tracing and Information Bill that was passed in the Seanad in May but nothing since. The Ministers wife died recently so that might have delayed things.

Did you read the Seanad debate thats on oireactas debates on 17 May, sorry but I can't post a link.

Adoptees are treated like second class citizens by the Irish government. Theres no equality for adopted people even though there is equality legislation that forbids discrimination on family status. And everyone is entitled to information about their identity and heritage under the UN Charter of Human Rights but the Irish government ignores that too.

Its disgraceful that adopted Irish citizens are still treated like they are asking for 'favours' when looking for personal information while every other Irish citizen has full access to their data as a basic right.

Do you know is this current bill the same one raised by Averil Power years ago

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Sorry - should have been more specific - the Adoption (Information and Tracing) Bill 2016.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mindurown

Hermy wrote: »
    Sorry - should have been more specific - the Adoption (Information and Tracing) Bill 2016.

The debate in May makes very interesting reading. So irritating to read the Minister said "the bill needs to reflect that we trust them" and about "compelling reasons" that could stop adoptees getting access to their information even if the law changes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I'm not sure if this is the same bill Averil Power raised.

Although adopted and half way through my search for my past I don't know much about the Bill as I ignore most of the news about it for the reasons you describe above.

But reading something recently about it I wondered had it actually passed into law or are they all patting themselves on the back for nothing.

You're absolutely though - we are treated as second class citizens and I don't expect this Bill to change that unfortunately.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement