Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing uPVC windows and composite door

Options
  • 30-08-2017 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently getting quotes to replace doors and windows in my house and am looking for some advice from people who know a lot more than me.

A couple of the companies have told me that they fix the frames to the brickwork by using foam to bond it in place.

I'll be the first to admit that I know nothing about installing windows or doors but I'd have thought that something more secure and longterm would be needed. Should they not be screwed o rbolted into place before using foam to fill any gaps?

I could be completely wrong so advice would be a great help. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Unless they use steel brackets, I would avoid, and run for the mountains.

I had Steel Brackets to hold the frames in place and the expanding foam to seal the gaps. Only way I'd be satisfied with the job.

These pics are from the internet, but this is what I'd expect

Plastmo-62-1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

My wooden windows and doors were screwed to the wall and then they used foam to seal up.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dbs103

Thanks B-D-P-- and Staph.

It was a pretty competitive quote so I might talk to them about the steel brackets and see what they say.

Any recommendation for window and door companies in the Dublin area?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

The company I used only supply wooden or alu-clad. If you are considering these types of windows and doors, let me know and I will PM the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dbs103

Staph wrote: »
    The company I used only supply wooden or alu-clad. If you are considering these types of windows and doors, let me know and I will PM the recommendation.

Cheers for the help. we're oing with uPVC though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement