Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

double door- internal

Options
  • 30-08-2017 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Just wondering if some one can help on this..we are buying a new build and there is no door between living room and dining room. We are bit confused as to should we have a door or not. We were late in submitting contracts to builder and he said he cant do it now..plastering is already done. If we were on time it would have cost us only 550 euro but now i will have to get it done privately by myself. Has anyone done something similar and if yes can give some idea on costs involved..it is a double door we are looking for.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Load bearing wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Is there an existing opening between the two rooms and you just need a frame architrave and doors hung , or will an opening need to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aspasp1

as far as i know it is not a load bearing wall cos as mentioned if we had signed contracts a week earlier builder would have done him self and there is no opening between two rooms..house is being built right now but the builder said that wall has been plastered already so he cant do it..it is actually he does not want to do it attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 19 manfromthemoon

We are also in the middle of a new build. We are putting a double sliding door between the kitchen and the living room. The doors will be joined in the center and move back as a single unit into a pocket in the wall, that is currently being built with a stud partition. The doors cannot go in opposite directions on opening, as there is a stove to one side. Our builder scratch coated the walls and then made the timber frame to hide the door.

Edited to add: It didn't seem like a big job.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

I would be politely instructing the builder to install the doors. Remember the builder works for you not the other way around.

• Advertisement

the guy i am dealing with is a client manager for the development. will i be better off asking some one high up in the rank? probably owners or the project head or some one?

@manfromthemoon did you have to pay extra for the job? if yes could you pm me costs involved?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

com1 wrote: »
    I would be politely instructing the builder to install the doors. Remember the builder works for you not the other way around.

The op is BUYING a house. The Builder doesn't work for him/her

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

com1 wrote: »

The builder is building in a multi unit development, if the OP takes that stance, he will get his deposit handed back and the house will go to the next person in the Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭mjp

kceire wrote:
    The builder is building in a multi unit development, if the OP takes that stance, he will get his deposit handed back and the house will go to the next person in the Q.

No harm in asking. All they can tell him is no we won't do it or say it will cost him extra. They can't just give house to another person if he has contracts signed which I'm guessing he has.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

mjp wrote: »
    No harm in asking. All they can tell him is no we won't do it or say it will cost him extra. They can't just give house to another person if he has contracts signed which I'm guessing he has.

he already has asked the builder, that's the whole point of the thread. The builder has said no as its gone beyond the stage to do it easily without pulling plasterers, painters etc from another house is my guess.

I normally agree though, no harm asking.

• Advertisement

Op Here,

thanks all for replies. Builder rang me last week and said he will do it...I am so relieved

• Registered Users Posts: 19 manfromthemoon

@manfromthemoon did you have to pay extra for the job? if yes could you pm me costs involved?[/QUOTE]

Sorry for delay replying, no idea of the cost as it was included in our original spec so don't know the figures for that on its own.

Advertisement