Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politics.ie - Polarised

Options
  • 29-08-2017 11:23pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm on politics.ie and I enjoy the discussions on that site. But lately I can't help but notice that there are very polarised views on there.

It seems most posters are either right wing anti-abortionists who support the Catholic Church all the way or are diametrically opposed leftists who oppose anything about traditional Ireland and yearn for massive social change. What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I last looked at politics.ie back in 2011. Life was too short I thought. I figure the place hasn't got any better since.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I'm on politics.ie and I enjoy the discussions on that site. But lately I can't help but notice that there are very polarised views on there.

It seems most posters are either right wing anti-abortionists who support the Catholic Church all the way or are diametrically opposed leftists who oppose anything about traditional Ireland and yearn for massive social change. What do you think?

I must be fairly polarised too.

I'd consider myself fairly left of centre, but would have an anti abortion stance too.

I've tried using the site a few times. It's just not as user friendly as boards tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Place is like a magnet for lunatics. There's proper communists over there, one lad going so far as to defend Mao, Stalin and North Korea. Draws the line at Pol Pot though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭mezzz

p.ie is too hardcore for me,

long live boards

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Place is like a magnet for lunatics. There's proper communists over there, one lad going so far as to defend Mao, Stalin and North Korea. Draws the line at Pol Pot though.

Does a great cover of Nessun Dorma to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Might have been the same lad who was around here last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It was a pretty good site back in the day and although it was packed with party hacks the insider knowledge was often enlightening. But these days its gone way down hill with both sides just shouting at each other. People complain about the moderation being too heavy here but over there it seems non-existent to the point that it resembles little more than a school yard playground.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Politics.ie wears a mumsnet.com nightie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

JupiterKid wrote: »

Like this site, the amount of people posting there has dropped off a cliff. The moderates have moved on I'm afraid, again no different from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Everything seems polarised these days, particularly magnets.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

And bears.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

You think this place is full of clowns, then you go there and look at the threads...frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

And bears.

And sunglasses.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That's the way it is though.

A small % of people on either side going all biblical while everyone else in the middle is all

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Angry wastrels.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Zoo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It use to be a bit of fun you would get a few serious academic types having a chat about Irish culture or NI or what ever and suddenly some rabbit lunatic nationalist would interject with a garbled mixture of hatred of west brits, blue shirts and something about British army regiments who guarded food during the famine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,129 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

So at this stage we have threads on boards.ie bitching about politics.ie and threads on politics.ie bitching about boards.ie.

Both sites are polarised when it comes to some discussions, although you can actually say a lot more on politics.ie

That can be a good thing and a bad thing.
    Around here the powers that be are of one opinion and anyone that doesn't fit in gets slammed a lot quicker than the opposition.

I wonder is there any chance we could get the old Field Marshall over here to impart his archbishop mcquade style wisdom or yer man with the numerology that arrives every so often claiming we are doomed, doomed I tell ye :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I was in Tower Records on Saturday and they were selling pictures of Stalin. Bit weird like.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

jmayo wrote: »
    So at this stage we have threads on boards.ie bitching about politics.ie and threads on politics.ie bitching about boards.ie.

Both sites are polarised when it comes to some discussions, although you can actually say a lot more on politics.ie

That can be a good thing and a bad thing.
    Around here the powers that be are of one opinion and anyone that doesn't fit in gets slammed a lot quicker than the opposition.

I wonder is there any chance we could get the old Field Marshall over here to impart his archbishop mcquade style wisdom or yer man with the numerology that arrives every so often claiming we are doomed, doomed I tell ye :D

I'm sure there's more than one thread about boards on politics.ie.

I love politics and current affairs but that has always been a dumping ground for lunatics who have been kicked off boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

What is mostly going on there...

It can be entertaining. I remember one extreme feminist user that was there for a few years that refused to spell the word "woman" properly and insisted on using the term "womyn". Most likely a windup merchant (or a complete lunatic) but the reaction garnered could be funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Dominic Walsh vs. Dysfunctional Neckbearded Malcontents. 'Twas ever thus.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,081 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

osarusan wrote: »
    You think this place is full of clowns, then you go there and look at the threads...frightening.

I'm just after reading a post there labelling another poster "a piece of Nazi filth.":eek:

I'd say about a quarter of regular posters there wouldn't last a day here before the banhammer came out.

Advertisement