Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with left over home heating oil?

Options
  • 29-08-2017 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hello

Our house has a v old boiler which we have decided to upgrade to a condensing boiler. The current boiler uses gas oil. The condesing boiler will use kerosene... we had an oil delivery recently and there is still 450lts odd left in the tank that the oil company won't take back. Anything to be done here? Had a look on gumtree/adverts and can't see any ads for people selling so not sure if it's possible to sell it on...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

toodelies wrote:
    Our house has a v old boiler which we have decided to upgrade to a condensing boiler. The current boiler uses gas oil. The condesing boiler will use kerosene... we had an oil delivery recently and there is still 450lts odd left in the tank that the oil company won't take back. Anything to be done here? Had a look on gumtree/adverts and can't see any ads for people selling so not sure if it's possible to sell it on...

You can set the new boiler to run on gas oil until it runs out and then change over to kerosene will only be a nozzle change and air settings on the burner. Your installer should be able to do this no problem with his fga.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

No you cannot. You will void the warranty of your appliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭toodelies

DGOBS wrote: »

Agreed we cannot, this has been made clear by the installation company! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

You'll see no adds online because people generally in your position.

I'd throw up an add, you'll be surprised at the response I'd say!!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭tanka006

I had same problem recently - my oil supplier took away the gas oil & delivered the kerosene

I was credited for the Gas oil & only paid the difference.

The delivery driver told me they do this a lot.

Perhaps give your oil supplier a quick call

Good Luck

Tanka

• Advertisement

Thanks all. My supplier will not take it back as they say they don't have the equipment on their trucks but they put me in touch with another company who provide a swap out service at a somewhat extortionate fee but it's better than it going to waste!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

DGOBS wrote:

Don't know what model boiler your referring to but I had this issue with a firebird boiler recently and they gave me the correct nozzle size and settings for burning diesel. Can't see any reason it would effect warranty once set up correctly.

Firstly: it's not to manufacturers instructions, see Warranty section Ts&Cs 3 (Enviromax manual only contains reference to Kero)
    Secondly: For most new installs, the flue terminal is LLD, and this is not suitable for burning gas oil (as minimum flue terminal must be 2.5m, due to flue gas particulates)

You will never see the issue, until you have a warranty issue!!

426692.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭rcklap

I'm in a similar situation, I have 500 litres of oil that needs getting rid of.

any ideas?

rcklap wrote: »
    I'm in a similar situation, I have 500 litres of oil that needs getting rid of.

any ideas?

Where you based? I'm in Dublin, Liffey oil will remove the gas oil and replace with the same wet of kerosene oil for 170e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭rcklap

toodelies wrote: »
    Where you based? I'm in Dublin, Liffey oil will remove the gas oil and replace with the same wet of kerosene oil for 170e.

Thanks I don't need it replaced, just removed. Can you help?

There's a lad in South Dublin, takes away all oils and oil tanks. PM sent

Advertisement