Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgot to accept first round offer?

Options
  • 29-08-2017 8:56pm

Hi all,
    My son's friend forgot to accept his first round offer and now the deadline has elapsed and the offer is no longer on his CAO account. He was well above the required number of points. Does anyone know if he's still eligible to be given an offer in the second round?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/cao-helpdesk-second-and-third-round-offers-1.3193568
    If I don’t accept my first choice is it possible that I will get offered my second choice in the second round of offers?
    Once you have been offered your first choice, then that’s it you will not be offered anything lower in the next rounds. The reason for this is that the CAO system assumes that you have the course you most want (your first choice) and that you are happy to stick with this. You can always hope to move up your list of preferences but not down but in your case you can’t go any higher so you will not be offered anything else. So in this case think carefully about not accepting your first round offer.
    TBH, contact the CAO (091 509800) and ask, but please note that due to the high volume of applicants each year the phone lines are extremely busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭EmzBoBo

I'm sorry to be the barer of bad news, but if he didn't accept in in Round 1, then that offer is now off the table, and he won't be seeing it in Round 2.
    If the offer isn't accepted in Round 1, then the CAO take it that the student isn't going to accept it.
    I'm afraid the only way that he's likely to get a Round 2 offer is if the offer he got in Round 1 wasn't his first choice, and in Round 2 the points for a choice higher up his CAO list drops.
    He could try ringing the CAO directly and explaining what happened, but it's unlikely to change anything unfortunately!

Thanks both for your prompt responses.
    He was way over the points requirements and all

I will get my lad to advise him to contact CAO first thing in the morning, but I agree
    he has probably lost the choice at this stage....

I will post the outcome anyway, in case its useful for someone even next year

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

How in the name of god does this happen. It appears on your CAO site the day of and all you have to do is press "accept".

Sounds like pure laziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Hi all,
    My son's friend forgot to accept his first round offer and now the deadline has elapsed and the offer is no longer on his CAO account. He was well above the required number of points. Does anyone know if he's still eligible to be given an offer in the second round?
    Thanks

Well below the required number of points in common sense.

• Advertisement

The_Mac wrote: »
    How in the name of god does this happen. It appears on your CAO site the day of and all you have to do is press "accept".

Sounds like pure laziness.

From what my son says, he was so delighted to have the place he just didn't go that final (crucial) step.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Absolute madness, but I'm sure someone does it every year ...

At least he HAS the points in his fist for next year if worst comes to worst, he's not facing into repeating.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cairdre

Tell him to contact the Admissions Officer of the Institution who made the offer not the CAO explain what happened. They can make a new offer if they have a place. The cao only administer offers not decide who are made offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moans3536

Round 2 out today , did he get offered anything in round 2

Advertisement