Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free Fees Eligibility with Special Purpose Awards

Options
  • 29-08-2017 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I just completed two different level 8 special purpose awards in May. The certificates together totalling 30 credits, insipired me to go back to education and get a degree as I don't have one. I'm starting as a full time mature student in a few weeks.

Its causing me a major headache when is comes to the financial side of things though. How have others who have Awards like this got on in determining their free fee eligibility? I'm sitting waiting for Trinity to get back to me and there is no information that I can find relating to people who have qualifications like me.

SUSI have said on my letter that I've been awarded "100% Rate of Student Contribution or 100% Tuition Fees, as applicable to you." I'm assuming that means I get one or the other when after Trinity declare me legible or not.

I have a feeling I'll have to cough up my tuition fees. However hopefully it might only be for the first year or something.

I don't regret my Certs but it is unfair how all these systems and schemes etc. have a progression clause and ignore the fact minor awards like this exist. I get them not wanting people doing degree after degree but it's frustrating when you tick every box to qualify except one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

The response from SUSI means that you have been awarded the full fees for your course and you shouldn't have to pay any fees or contribution.

The special purpose awards are not eligible courses and minor awards. Previous awards must be major awards on the NFQ to disqualify you.

I hope this answers your query.

Advertisement