Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox News removed from Sky Ireland/UK EPG (509) after 15 years

Options
  • 29-08-2017 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭

From The Guardian - full article https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/aug/29/sky-to-stop-broadcasting-rightwing-us-channel-fox-news-in-uk
    Sky to stop broadcasting rightwing US channel Fox News in UK

Rupert Murdoch is to stop broadcasting the rightwing US channel Fox News in the UK after 15 years.

His US media group 21st Century Fox announced it would withdraw Fox News from Sky in the UK on Tuesday saying that it no longer sees the service as commercially viable.

The decision comes as Karen Bradley, the culture secretary, is set to return her verdict on whether to ask the competition regulator to launch an investigation into the Murdochs’ adherence to broadcasting standards in the UK as part of a probe into Fox’s £11.7bn takeover bid of Sky.

Sources say the decision to stop broadcasting Fox News, which goes off air from Tuesday at 4pm, is not connected to the takeover bid, arguing that the channel attracts very few viewers in the UK, about 2,000 a day.

2000 a day was astonishingly low! used to watch it very little as it has become unbearably right wing but it will be missed during major US news events.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They have evidentially decided that providing a UK feed was more trouble than it was worth. They were making little or no money from it and falling foul of the UK regulatory authorities on a semi-regular basis.

US news still available from CNN and CNBC, among others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

icdg wrote: »
    They have evidentially decided that providing a UK feed was more trouble than it was worth. They were making little or no money from it and falling foul of the UK regulatory authorities on a semi-regular basis.

US news still available from CNN and CNBC, among others.
    You would have to think the 22 breaches of its OFCOM licence over the past 10 years may have been the most pressing issue from 21st Century Fox's point of view...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

I won't miss it to be honest. The only time I would tune in was if their was a major weather events taking place in the US. I found their coverage pretty good with their reporters litteraly putting their lives at risk whenever there was a hurricane,blizzards etc. Other than that I would watch CNN for the American news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Great news.

Fair and Balanced :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Horrible picture quality too. Good riddance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I'll miss their attempts to portray Trump in a positive light. Good entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

I'll miss seeing the incredibly biased reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭More Music

The spin stops here.

Booommm.

I miss Bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Samson1

Disgraceful ! More censorship form the liberal left !!
    Why is this page displaying like something from the 1990's?

This is a major change by Sky. Why is this important thread not continuing on under the Satellite / Sky forum ??

• Advertisement

Cannot Follow this thread etc

Samson1 wrote: »
    Disgraceful ! More censorship form the liberal left !!
    Why is this page displaying like something from the 1990's?

Seems this thread is now only on the Boards (m) mobile platform & not on the mainstream Satellite thread? Why ??

With the removal of Fox News from Sky, we are left with the rubbish fake news left-wing useless CNN.

Does Virgin Media carry Fox News ??

• Registered Users Posts: 35,677 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I liked to watch both sides, CNN and Fox , now I will be brainwashed by CNN .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Don't think viewing figures were the problem

"The source said that Fox News had about 2,000 average daily viewers. The costs of distributing the US network in the UK meant it was not in 21st Century Fox's commercial interests to continue, the source added.

However, figures from the Broadcaster's Audience Research Board (Barb) suggest that Fox News' average UK daily viewing figures were nearly 60,000 per day this year."
    http://www.bbc.com/news/business-41087659

Anyone know what viewing figures CNN international gets?

Exactly. The only thing you can be sure of with CNN is that the opposite of what they say is the truth.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Samson1 take a straight 48 hour ban for (a)discussing moderation on thread and (b) spamming the thread with five consecutive posts.

The 48 hour ban would not normally be imposed for a first offence but is because of the cumulative effect of multiple infringing posts

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'll miss those odd interludes, with people playing their guitars earnestly.

Not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

And the segment with our own James Galway, literally saying theist people are better than atheists along with creepy eye movements repeated countless times. :rolleyes:

I think it's a disgrace Joe. It was often really interesting to get both sides - Fox News on one side, then CNN on the other. Great for people in Europe who want to understand the real politics of the US and not just the MSM world. I always wished they had MSNBC as well. The fact that every single other news channel in Europe I can think of is FTA rather than pay may have had something to do with their apparently low ratings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

MarkR wrote: »
    I'll miss those odd interludes, with people playing their guitars earnestly.

Not.

That's CNN isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Kurn

gone.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

ThisRegard wrote: »
    That's CNN isn't it?

Nope, CNN has been looping "Inside Africa" and something about sailboats.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Get a sub to ustvnow. Has both Fox News and MSNBC as part of their package but no longer carries CNN or any other timewarner channel after their deal to carry these channels ran out. Of course there's other ways to keep watching but not legit.

Advertisement