Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TG4 Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Basal

The weakest link is now on twice a day at 1pm & 6pm , bit of a joke for an Irish language public service broadcaster ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Some of the programmes look interesting for 2017, if we could only get it in HD on FTA would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Basal wrote: »
    The weakest link is now on twice a day at 1pm & 6pm , bit of a joke for an Irish language public service broadcaster ?

Yeah I don't really mind the early part showing, and in reality TG4 have some hours to fill but a 6pm start to TWL is unnessacary.

Both RTE and TG4 have really given up on teens, both Punk and Two Tube gone, not that either really worked but at least they were something, and while it might be that teens are going on line more often if not completely doesn't look like either RTE or TG4 have any programming or content aimed at teens on any platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

TG4's top ten programmes for July

Top 10 July 2017

GAA BEO 2016 - 2017
    Opry an Iúir 1
    Opry an Iúir 2
    Duets Opry an Iúir 1
    Crazy Stupid Love
    Blood Work
    Lugs Brannigan
    Life as We Know It
    A little Bit Country
    A Little Bit Showband 2

Seriously unimpressive stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Elmo wrote: »
    Yeah I don't really mind the early part showing, and in reality TG4 have some hours to fill but a 6pm start to TWL is unnessacary.

Both RTE and TG4 have really given up on teens, both Punk and Two Tube gone, not that either really worked but at least they were something, and while it might be that teens are going on line more often if not completely doesn't look like either RTE or TG4 have any programming or content aimed at teens on any platform.

As the father of teens, I can advise that watching tv is not on their radar.

• Advertisement

+1, I think streaming is the future going by my gang

True but neither public service broadcaster are providing any streaming service worth their time either.

It's obvious rte have given up on the tween/teen market, trte has had the same idents for 7 years ffs... Anyway back to tg4, why did they stop showing classic ros na run in the afternoons when they have plenty of room in their schedule for English language reruns ?

It's obvious rte have given up on the tween/teen market, trte has had the same idents for 7 years ffs... Anyway back to tg4, why did they stop showing classic ros na run in the afternoons when they have plenty of room in their schedule for English language reruns ?

Costly AFAIK neither RTÉ nor TG4 can repeat dramas as cheaply as they can buy imports!

Repeat fees to actors ?

• Advertisement

Repeat fees to actors ?

Yeah pretty much. I did ask TG4 if it was the case but they suggested it was because of the audience, I don't believe this. Having interviewed RTE they said it was an issue with equity and seem to have been an issue since the early 1990s.

Its as if RTE and Equity are in a cold strike. RTE think its too expensive to repeat programming due to equity rules and equity do not seem to relaise the important of repeats for the actors they support. I don't think actors should be out of money but if its over what RTE can repeat an import they are loosing the battle. IMO for every repeat RTE should pay 2000 per hour long episode divided between screen time for each actor. I think many actors would be doing well with that system, better than not repeating and getting nothing. But I don't know the money involved perhaps its only 2000.

Note that BBC Co-pros don't seem to have this as a rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭County rebel

i was watching a dongeal club gaelic football match today on Eir sport has TG4 still the rights to the club championship.?its the first time i have seen this on Eir sport.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

As I understand it, Eir Sport's deal is for games TG4 wouldn't have been showing anyway.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭mike2084

Listowel Races all this week on TG4

http://www.tg4.ie/en/live-sport/

Why don't they buy a couple of Scandinavian young adult shows and dub them in Irish ? They are really abandoning their public service remit with multiple reruns of the weakest link imo.

Why don't they buy a couple of Scandinavian young adult shows and dub them in Irish ? They are really abandoning their public service remit with multiple reruns of the weakest link imo.

So I read a thesis on dubbing a few years ago. Basically there is a European Divide on dubbing.

In Northern Europe almost all English Language shows are subtitle rather then dubbed, while in Southern Europe almost all English Language shows are dubbed in to the local language. I never really understood why US programming gets dub but other Euro content is ignored by broadcasters.

This is down to greater knowledge of English in Northern European countries and a greater number of bi-lingual speakers.

I'd be off the opinion that most Irish speakers are used to non-dubbed programming and find it hard to watch programmes re-dubbed into either Irish or English, hence TG4 tend to only dub animations.

I would rather see TG4 have better quality Irish programming mixed with better quality imports. Something TG4 seemed better at in the past.

I know they used to subtitle some foreign films in Irish on teletext not sure if that still happens.

I really only expect TG4 to aim for 2 to 3 hours of new Irish language programming in prime time. I'd worry that if they did start dubing live action, it would be wall to wall imports, something the Irish Language prevents TG4 doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Elmo wrote: »
    So I read a thesis on dubbing a few years ago. Basically there is a European Divide on dubbing.

In Northern Europe almost all English Language shows are subtitle rather then dubbed, while in Southern Europe almost all English Language shows are dubbed in to the local language. I never really understood why US programming gets dub but other Euro content is ignored by broadcasters.

This is down to greater knowledge of English in Northern European countries and a greater number of bi-lingual speakers.

I'd be off the opinion that most Irish speakers are used to non-dubbed programming and find it hard to watch programmes re-dubbed into either Irish or English, hence TG4 tend to only dub animations.

I would rather see TG4 have better quality Irish programming mixed with better quality imports. Something TG4 seemed better at in the past.

I know they used to subtitle some foreign films in Irish on teletext not sure if that still happens.

I really only expect TG4 to aim for 2 to 3 hours of new Irish language programming in prime time. I'd worry that if they did start dubing live action, it would be wall to wall imports, something the Irish Language prevents TG4 doing.

Why don't TG4 take some stuff from other minority language channels on a barter basis, e.g. Welsh, Scottish Gaelic, Romansch, Catalan? I occasionally switch the dial to Welsh and Scottish Gaelic and some of their stuff is quite interesting. I'm not suggesting that TG4 be swamped with it, but a little could be good.
    Also, ice hockey, a great game, gets poor coverage here generally and they could fill a gap, say follow the Belfast team or a Boston team.
    Also more GAA inter-county minor games and school games, please.

feargale wrote: »
    Why don't TG4 take some stuff from other minority language channels on a barter basis, e.g. Welsh, Scottish Gaelic, Romansch, Catalan?

Who are you bartering with the indo producers? TG4 could dub their docs, as they have done with the Fiorsceal series of docs from France.

Eir Sport have all the ice hockey rights there is to get sown up I'm afraid.

feargale wrote: »
    Why don't TG4 take some stuff from other minority language channels on a barter basis, e.g. Welsh, Scottish Gaelic, Romansch, Catalan?

That's a very good idea actually. If they showed Pobol y Cwm for example, it would fit their remit a hell of a lot more than the weakest link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

icdg wrote: »
    Eir Sport have all the ice hockey rights there is to get sown up I'm afraid.

For both North America and Europe (including Belfast Tigers) ? I doubt it.

Yes, they've the exclusive rights to the NHL (US/Canadian top flight pro league) and Champions Hockey League through their association with Premier Sports.

They did have the UK EIHL (in which the Belfast Giants play). Seemingly that has been dropped. They might be able to pick that up. Seemingly it's only TV deal at the moment was a one off deal with the BBC for last years final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Joe Duffy.

You would think they'd repeat Hectors travel back catalogue rather than weakest link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Anyone else having difficulty seeing the TG4 logo in full on Saorview over the last week or so?

On Saorsat
    When I watch it on the scart input I only see G4
    HDMI connection TG4 in full

Advertisement