Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restore Windows

Options
  • 29-08-2017 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

help needed.

I have an old work laptop with windows 8 on it. I was allowed to keep it after finishing work and I would like to reset it so I have no work related configuration etc on it.

Problem is
    Can't remember Windows login details and I can't retrieve a recovery key because it's against an old work account.

I have also tried to restore to factory settings through safe mode but again I need a recovery key and it also says the windows drive is locked.

Any ideas or options.?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

TBH it should have been wiped before you got it.

Should be a serial number on the sticker under it , or in the battery compartment in a few rare cases.

What brand is it ? Many have a recovery partition F11 or some such to restore to factory image.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd say it's probably been loaded with a company image so resetting it won't help anyway.

You'll need to first determine what version of Windows it came with. As the Capt'n says, check on the bottom (Or under the battery) for a Windows sticker/serial number. If it just says something like "Windows Pro" it probably came with Win8 or 10 so the key will be embedded in the firmware (ie: it'll auto-activate when you install the right version of Windows)

What make and model is it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hmmm

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/08/30/ex_harrods_man_pardeep_parmar_computer_misuse_plea/
    A former Harrods IT worker has pleaded guilty to a charge under the Computer Misuse Act of trying to get a computer repair shop to take his company-issued laptop off the Harrods domain.

:pac:

Advertisement