Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Fluence - 5 speed Vrs 6 speed?

Options
  • 29-08-2017 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi,

Im looking at buying a 2010 - 2014 Renault Fluence.

They seem to be a good car.

Im doing 40,000 km a year, and wondering , is there much of a difference between the 5 speed and the 6 speed, in terms of comfort, and mpg?

Would i be better off look for a 6 speed?

Or . . . would i be better off with a Laguna?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Im doing 40,000 km a year, and wondering , is there much of a difference between the 5 speed and the 6 speed, in terms of comfort, and mpg?

Would i be better off look for a 6 speed?

I'm surprised a diesel would come with 5 gears these days. 6 gears version will be both superior in comfort (quieter on the motorway) and fuel consumption (less rpm on the motorway).

Laguna is a class bigger and really much more suited to your mileage. The MK3 Laguna is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,145 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I thought they were all 6 speed? If not then the lower powered 95bhp one would have probably been 5 speed. I'd try and get the more powerful 110bhp one especially if you do a lot of motorway driving. The 6 speed will cope with motorway driving a lot better and will improve mpg.

Laguna is a bigger car than the Fluence so it will be more comfortable, however it's an older design.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

grogi wrote: »
    I'm surprised a diesel would come with 5 gears these days. 6 gears version will be both superior in comfort (quieter on the motorway) and fuel consumption (less rpm on the motorway).

Laguna is a class bigger and really much more suited to your mileage. The MK3 Laguna is excellent.

What engine should one look for in a diesel mk 3 laguna?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

What engine should one look for in a diesel mk 3 laguna?

I would go for 2.0 dCi - it gives a nice 150 bhp. It can be paired with a very reliable Jatco JF613E automatic gearbox.

A 1.5 dCi with good service record (not that 30kkm/2years service interval) should be fine as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Friend test drove a later one, think it was 95bhp and it was 6 speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Friend test drove a later one, think it was 95bhp and it was 6 speed.

All fluence under 95hp are 5 speed.

So, is the laguna as reliable as the fluence??

Advertisement