Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay As you/prepay confusion

Options
  • 29-08-2017 12:11am

I've just returned to Ireland (been living abroad for 10 years) and been trying to get my head around getting a phone (which i've always been rather clueless about).

I'm currently unemployed so I don't want to sign up to any monthly bill schemes, and was thinking of the old 'pay as you go" thingy. Problem is that after checking numerous websites about this in Ireland, I've become totally confused.

Can I buy a Sim card without there being any monthly charge? I'd looked at the tesco phone/sim but balked after reaching the payment stage since they wanted my bank details for a monthly 10 euro direct debit.. and that was the prepaid option.

Other website options all seem to want back details for similar monthly 'costs'/'plans'. I'm guessing that I can go in physically and buy a sim in a shop for cash.. but will there be similar requirements for Bank details and DD payments?

I have vague memories of being able to have a phone/sim, add credit whenever I wished, and but needing to pay within 6 months or the sim stopped working. (I'm a very light user, and would usually use my phone with wifi)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

3 network have free sim in their store
    also Tesco has free sim I think but you have to buy 5eu top up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

There is PAYG with no monthly charge, although you usually have to put some credit (e.g. €5) in every 6 months or so to keep the number going.
    The confusion comes because all of the phone companies have "offers" where if you get some credit (e.g. €20) each month then you get free calls and whatnot. But this is not a contract, you just lose the free calls or whatever if you do not top up each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

This gives a summary of what's available.

If you have a dual SIM phone then Meteor have a 180 days 50GB plan for 30 euro (SIM is free but is for data only).

If you can use apps for outgoing calls on the Meteor SIM above then get a Vodafone SIM (I think it costs 10 euro) for incoming calls and texts. Vodafone requires a minimum of 5 euro top up every 6 months to keep the SIM "alive". You will get 600 free webtext per month with Vodafone and they can be sent on their website or through their app.

All of the above is Pay as you go, no need to given any debit card or bank details.

Advertisement