Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New External filter

Options
  • 28-08-2017 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭

Because of the design of the my tank it makes it and absolute PITA to clean the filter so just got a new external filter that has 4 trays, it came with 4 of the wooly filter things

What would be the best order of filtration, probably 4 types is overkill but was thinking wool, ceramic rings and carbon and leave the last one alone

What does everyone suggest and is there anywhere cheap in Dublin city to buy them (see them very cheap on ebay from China and the likes)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

There's no real need for carbon and it can be costly to be constantly replacing it. Have a look at Eheim Substrat Pro. It's really good. I'd be inclined to do two trays of that or the equivalent, ceramic and then wool on top.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000A216BA/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503957937&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=eheim+substrat+pro

Ceramic rings are all much the same. If you do go with carbon buy it in pelleted form and not carbon coated sponges which are insanely expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I thought the carbon was good for the bacteria?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

fritzelly wrote: »
    I thought the carbon was good for the bacteria?

No, carbon does nothing for the nitrogen cycle. It's mechanical filtration so it polishes water and can remove smells etc. It's good if you have medicated a tank and need to remove the medication after.

Filling up a whole tray in a decent sized external will be costly and as long as you're doing regular water changes it's completely unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Carbon can be extremely useful in a marine tank to help keep down algae growth.

Advertisement