Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tank plus booster pump supply versus mains

Options
  • 28-08-2017 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

The water supply to the bathrooms and the hot water tank in my apartment is from a big tank along with a booster pump... but I just discovered a valve option to switch this to the mains instead. I think the option is there in case there's a power cut and you still want to use toilets etc.

I tried it out earlier and everything works like normal. But if the mains pressure is more than adequate, then why did the builder bother with the whole tank and booster pump setup in the first place?! I'm wondering if the pressure was low back when the apartment was built maybe? But whatever the reason, if I stop using the tank and booster pump supply, I presume the pump will seize up probably over time but also that the water in the tank will go manky?

Just seems simpler and less to go wrong if I were to leave the mains supply switched permanently. And if there was no water for some reason, I could in theory switch the valve back to the tank and pump supply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If you are in Dublin, it is a legal requirement that there is a tank. You cannot run your whole house off the mains directly. The reason for this is to avoid a heavy pull on the public supply during the peak times resulting in low pressure elsewhere on the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dathi

If you are in Dublin, it is a legal requirement that there is a tank. You cannot run your whole house off the mains directly. The reason for this is to avoid a heavy pull on the public supply during the peak times resulting in low pressure elsewhere on the network.

not just in dublin it is required in all homes under the building regulations this is taken from the TGDs 1.3 The cold water supply to the kitchen sink should
    be taken directly from the service pipe supplying
    water to the dwelling; the cold water supply to the
    bath or shower and the washbasin and to other
    appliances in the dwelling should be from a cold
    water storage cistern. The bath, shower, washbasin,
    and sink should also have a piped supply of hot
    water, which may be from a central source or from a
    unit water heater.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Escapees

dathi wrote: »
    not just in dublin it is required in all homes under the building regulations this is taken from the TGDs 1.3 The cold water supply to the kitchen sink should
    be taken directly from the service pipe supplying
    water to the dwelling; the cold water supply to the
    bath or shower and the washbasin and to other
    appliances in the dwelling should be from a cold
    water storage cistern. The bath, shower, washbasin,
    and sink should also have a piped supply of hot
    water, which may be from a central source or from a
    unit water heater.

Ah, of course - that makes 100% sense! Should have clicked this myself!! Thanks guys...

Advertisement