Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying to UK for medicine actual numbers successful

Options
  • 28-08-2017 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

I know that UKCAT is often discussed on the forum and that  Irish students do apply to the UK as a "back-up" in case they dont succeed in Ireland. I actually wrote a thread about the then mininum Leaving Cert requirements for the UK medical schools in 2012. What I have not known until now is that the numbers actually succeding is incredibly low. This article in the Irish Times in 2015 I found when searching about Irish students appplying for UK medicine
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/opting-to-study-in-the-uk-europe-and-beyond-1.2063585
    states that only 23 students actually obtained a place in medicine in the UK in 2013. Now of course many students may have got a place in both Ireland and UK and chose the Irish place but this is a very small number. I have no idea of any more current figures for any other year. The article even then stated that the number of Irish applicants to all UK Universities was falling possibly because of the increase in student fees in England. Scotland remains unique in that Irish students pay no fees as they are EU but of course this will change with Brexit. I personally know of a handful of students who have been to Dundee so certainly they do take Irish students but people should be aware of the very small numbers succeeding before they start on UKCAT, personal statements and hopefully an interview. If anyone has more uptodate figures they may share them and it would be great to hear from Irish students who have actually got places in UK. The article discusses alternative places in Europe to study in English and I know that Poland is currently being discussed but I was shocked at this figure for the UK and wonder what others think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

It may have coincided with changes to how intern places are allocated in 2015. Those educated elsewhere in Europe (even if Irish) are placed in a pool below Irish-educated students which makes it much more difficult for non-Irish educated students to get the most desirable intern spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

Thanks Anita and clearly all those applying to other EU countries including Poland must be aware of this rule if they are expecting to come back and work in Ireland as an intern. As you say if you are Irish but did not train in Ireland but in another EU country then you are placed in a pool below all Irish students regardless of how high you scored in your own Medical School.
    However in my experience Students starting in Medicine can only see passing Finals as their goal and many have no idea of the difficulty in gettiing intern jobs. Some students also forget that passing finals is only the beginning of a career which means more experience and examinatons for whatever part of Medicine they choose.
    My point remains though - I had no idea how few Irish Students actually get places in the United Kingdom.I truly wonder if many of those doing UKCAT and personal statements have any idea just how few of them will succeed.
    Also when UK leaves the EU then potentially all UK graduates will be foreign graduates and that will put them even below the EU in the chance of getting intern jobs back in Ireland!!

Advertisement