Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying Medicine in Poland (abroad)

Options
  • 28-08-2017 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

So I completed my Leaving last year, I got 425 points..
    I went into college, studying business and I hated it.
    I've still got the little voice in the back of my head wanting to study medicine, which was a dream of mine from a young age, but to put it bluntly I did not put in the work, or any work for that matter.. so I came out with the points I have.

Is it possible for me to study medicine in Europe, possibly Poland as I've heard a number of people going their for higher points courses..

Is there an entry requirement? Do I have enough points?
    Is there any prerequisites?

Also, could you link to online resources? I'm looking but I'm just seeing how it's an option, not how to go about it, the points etc..

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Hulgerx10

Surely if you're too 'lazy' to work hard for the Leaving Cert you won't be able for medicine either? It's not easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Hulgerx10 wrote: »
    Surely if you're too 'lazy' to work hard for the Leaving Cert you won't be able for medicine either? It's not easy.

I did well in what I enjoyed, I passed what I did not enjoy. There was little to no chance of me coming out with A1's in subjects I don't particularly enjoy.

Even in my first year of college, I am good at what I enjoy, if I feel like there is some greater reason than to just pass I'll do better.
    I don't think you can judge someones overall ability/dedication based on the results of a mix bag of subjects, some compulsory, some others that the school would not accommodate me with, their idea was basically 'do what's in front of ya and just go it, 6 subjects, 1 extra, whatever we offer, do higher in what ya can and don't complain about it', despite not putting on accounting for the 6 other students (in a year of 50ish) who wanted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Hulgerx10

TheBiz wrote: »
    I did well in what I enjoyed, I passed what I did not enjoy. There was little to no chance of me coming out with A1's in subjects I don't particularly enjoy.

Even in my first year of college, I am good at what I enjoy, if I feel like there is some greater reason than to just pass I'll do better.
    I don't think you can judge someones overall ability/dedication based on the results of a mix bag of subjects, some compulsory, some others that the school would not accommodate me with, their idea was basically 'do what's in front of ya and just go it, 6 subjects, 1 extra, whatever we offer, do higher in what ya can and don't complain about it', despite not putting on accounting for the 6 other students (in a year of 50ish) who wanted it.

That's fair enough, but undeniably there will be certain aspects within medicine that you will dislike, that's probably an inevitability, no? Would you just say 'I don't like this I quit' or would you work through it?

I agree that the LC doesn't display an individuals overall ability, but it does show your ability to dedicate yourself and work hard towards an ultimate goal, even if you dislike particular subjects/aspects of it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Hulgerx10 wrote: »
    That's fair enough, but undeniably there will be certain aspects within medicine that you will dislike, that's probably an inevitability, no? Would you just say 'I don't like this I quit' or would you work through it?
    In fairness, (most! :pac:) people tend to mature as they get older, and realise that sometimes you just have to knuckle down and cover the bits of a course you don't enjoy if you want to reach your goal.

Paying €10k p.a. in fees might serve as an incentive too ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement