Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lehaunstown road and Tully church

Options
  • 28-08-2017 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭

One of my favourite walks was one that took me from Marley park, over the three rock, down through the ballyedmonduff wedge tomb, Glencullen, the Scalp and then down to the Lehaunstown luas stop (via Tully church).

The Lehaunstown road and Tully church is a beautiful peaceful spot and has always remained so despite the ever encroaching carrickmines business and apartment complex and the arrival of the M50 in the early 2000’s.

But not for long – the fields to the west of the Lehaunstown road are already being churned up for housing and I suspect the beautiful tree lined Lehaunstown road will be widened and straightened as part of this. This time next year it will all be gone – well the church, crosses and all are protected in a small park but it wont quite feel the same surrounded by housing estates.

Can’t stop progress and of course housing is desperately needed, so I would advise anyone who wants to experience this hidden gem to do so now before it is too late.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

Shame, is it done and dusted in terms of planning (obviously where they have started is but the rest) and are the plans online?

edit

Seems to be be, the LUAS trumps all normal planning I think http://extra.ie/news/irish-news/work-begins-8000-new-homes-dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

This is the current plan - Tully church and celtic crosses are preserved in a park but the rest of area will be built up. The development actually looks rather nice, it's just a pity such a quiet and beautiful rural area is going. But as said - thats progress and we need houses.

http://www.cherrywooddublin.com/masterplan/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

dogmatix wrote: »
    This is the current plan - Tully church and celtic crosses are preserved in a park but the rest of area will be built up. The development actually looks rather nice, it's just a pity such a quiet and beautiful rural area is going. But as said - thats progress and we need houses.

http://www.cherrywooddublin.com/masterplan/

That's true, more housing is needed but I wonder at the price tag of these when they are built. Dublin City has been slowly encroaching on the hills and creeping upwards. There's a sound argument for higher densities in the existing urban sprawls.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,951 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I believe there are plans to go even further up the Dublin mountains from Scholarstown / Woodtown / Ballycullen. What's next? Terraced housing right beside the Hellfire Club? :(

BarryD2 wrote: »
    That's true, more housing is needed but I wonder at the price tag of these when they are built. Dublin City has been slowly encroaching on the hills and creeping upwards. There's a sound argument for higher densities in the existing urban sprawls.

Or even refurbishing existing empty properties. Before moving to Wicklow I used to live in ParkWest - walking from Hueston to Jervis street for work, I would pass by dozens of bricked up houses, abandoned buildings and other properties that would make very desirable homes if the local bodies would show some inititive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

unkel wrote: »
    I believe there are plans to go even further up the Dublin mountains from Scholarstown / Woodtown / Ballycullen. What's next? Terraced housing right beside the Hellfire Club? :(

Part of the works for the Hellfire include a massive upgrade for the water and sewerage serving the site and hinterland. Cynic that I am but you'd wonder......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I occasionally stray into this forum so only saw this thread! I used to do a walk between Rathmichael (Heronford Lane off Ballycorus Road) to Lehaunstown and back. Heronford Lane was (is?) a very pleasant countryish cul de sac - a stream runs by it and there was (is?) access to a forest track. This in turn led on to the track passing Tully's Cross. I stopped doing this walk when work started on the M50 extension underneath!

Is it worth doing now?

I occasionally stray into this forum so only saw this thread! I used to do a walk between Rathmichael (Heronford Lane off Ballycorus Road) to Lehaunstown and back. Heronford Lane was (is?) a very pleasant countryish cul de sac - a stream runs by it and there was (is?) access to a forest track. This in turn led on to the track passing Tully's Cross. I stopped doing this walk when work started on the M50 extension underneath!

Is it worth doing now?

Even less so now - I was driving into work this AM on the M50 and saw a convoy of huge 6 wheel dump trucks crossing over the footbridge to laughanstown road. They must have been coming from the heronsford lane end which would imply further development at that end or they are using the heronsford lane end as a nighttime park up.

Advertisement