Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland trade directories

Options
  • 28-08-2017 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Is there anyone who can look up Irish trade directories the area I am interested in is Rathdown

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

http://www.swilson.info/dirdb.php

Rathdown isn't really a place, its a district name so you're going to need to be more specific.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

We have a thread on the forum for that very purpose.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

L1011 wrote: »
    http://www.swilson.info/dirdb.php

Rathdown isn't really a place, its a district.

1. Since medieval times, Rathdown was a barony.

2. When Wicklow was shired out of Co Dublin, Rathdown technically became two half-baronies.

3. With the introduction of the poor law system and civil registration, Rathdown became a Union and Superintendent Registrar's District.

4. The Local Government Act 1898, divided Rathdown, creating two Rural Districts; Rathdown No 1 (in Co Dublin) and No 2 (in Co Wicklow).

5. Following independence, the Irish goverment abolished the poor law system under legislation of 1924. Subsequently the Superintendent Registrar's District of Rathdown was limited to that portion within the administrative territory of Co Dublin. The area in Co Wicklow was transferred into Rathdrum SRD.
    Thus residents of Bray, including Little Bray, as well as Greystones and Delgany, found themselves being registered as dying in Rathdrum, in spite of being born and married in Rathdown.

6. With the division of Dublin County Council into three administrative counties in 1993, Rathdown along with the former borough of DunLaoghaire,became one of the three. About 80% of DLR's population live outside the former borough, and almost all live within the historic Union.

The area known as Rathdown, from Booterstown and Dundrum to Delgany and Enniskerry is all covered in Thom's Dublin directories, although the early directories would have just listed residents and traders in Bray for example, as though it was a rural village, rather than listing by street.

Incidentally the Rathdown castle, from which these areas received their name, was in Co Wicklow, below Bray Head, it is sad that all of Rathdown was not kept in Co Dublin when Wicklow county was created in 1606.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dovidore

I am new to this site so I am not sore how to respond to a reply or correct my posting
    On the 1901 census I have Patrick Robinson who is a shoemaker he is in Cornelscourt (Stillorgan Dublin)
    I was wondering if Patrick was listed in a trade directory

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Have you looked on Findmypast? They have a large collection of trade directories there. If you've never used FMP before, they offer a free trial. Just make sure to cancel within that period otherwise they'll charge your card.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I searched the set of Thom's on Ancestry but did not find anything relevant unfortunately.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I will look at Thom's Directory in the next couple of days

He is quite an amazing man, 81 in 1911, 20 live births, of whom 13 were still alive. Probably left a lot of descendants.

tabbey wrote: »
    I will look at Thom's Directory in the next couple of days

P Robinson,shoemaker, is listed at Bray Road, Foxrock (including Cornelscourt) in Thom's directories from 1898 to 1916.

T Robinson, shoemaker is listed at the same place in Thom's directories from 1917 to 1935.

In both cases the premises has a rateable valuation of £4, so almost certainly the same house.

The fact that Patrick is not listed pre 1898, is possibly because he could have been an employee, but far more likely to be due to the casual way in which Cornelscourt was covered. Stillorgan for example had many tradesmen recorded, but Cornelscourt was largely just the gentry and farmers.

In those days a shoemaker would not necessarily have had a sign on the door, as the locals would know him. Therefore the man from Thom's could easily pass a row of cottages, blissfully ignorant of business or trade taking place there.

The Robinsons were only listed by location, not in the alphabetical list of Nobility, Gentry, Merchants and Traders, it would be time consuming to search every street etc for miles around to see where T Robinson went from 1935, but you may know that already. If you need a specific street or area searched, let us know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Tabbey is correct (as usual!):)
    Don't be confused by Stillorgan/Rathdown. Cornelscourt was a village c1900 located on the Dublin to Bray road. It remained as such for a few decades after, and in the late 1960’s and 70’s I remember rows of small cottages on the northern side of the road. Now its bypassed by the N11. The Parish Hall for Foxrock church was in Cornelscourt, it’s a Chinese restaurant now I think, also had a few cottages near it on the same side, also a few 2-storey houses . There is an active local history society in Foxrock that would probably have information – definitely worth contacting them. Have you checked the Lawrence Collection to see if there are photos?

Advertisement