Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ancestry Subscription Ending

Options
  • 28-08-2017 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

This query may have been answered before so forgive my ignorance in advance. My 1 month trial of Ancestry is ending next week. I have found many more records & a few new people on it. When my subscription ends I understand that I will continue to be able to view my tree & any documents that were available from 'free' sites but not any documents from 'pay per view' sites. If I renew my subscription in the future will my 'pay per view' documents be available or will they be deleted & have to start again?
    I understand that people seem to dip in and out of their subscriptions so advice would be welcome.
    Thanks, J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You'll be able to see them again on re-subscribing.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭nikonuser

Many thanks for that, I couldn't get any answer on the Ancestry site. So really until I renew my subscription is 'frozen'.
    Cheers, J

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Download all the items you have attached to people! It's much better to do this than just linking them online, for the exact reason you mention.

I am, in general, disinclined to give Ancestry all the extra information by linking every record to each individual, even if their hint system has correctly identified the right census record, or whatever. It would take far too long to do this and I don't trust what they'll do with the info long term.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭nikonuser

Again thanks for the advice, makes sense. I'll start the 'donkey work'.
    Cheers, J

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I don't trust what they'll do with the info long term.

I've seen this opinion before and I'm still not sure what exactly the concern is. What sinister thing will they do with historical information about people who have been dead 100 years?

• Advertisement

Well, it's more about protecting my own work, I suppose. I've spent a lot of time and money working on my (and other) family trees and I don't see why I should just put it all out there for others to mine. It's one thing to share info with distant cousins. What's to stop Ancestry from gathering all the trees on their site and publishing some giant compendium of "Ancestry's collection of other people's work"? Few people take the time to read terms and conditions thoroughly.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I too have hesitations with parting with my hard earned knowledge but then I've got a lot back tenfold because others have shared theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Well, it's more about protecting my own work, I suppose. I've spent a lot of time and money working on my (and other) family trees and I don't see why I should just put it all out there for others to mine. It's one thing to share info with distant cousins. What's to stop Ancestry from gathering all the trees on their site and publishing some giant compendium of "Ancestry's collection of other people's work"? Few people take the time to read terms and conditions thoroughly.

I don't understand this sentiment either. Why wouldn't you want your work to be shared? Why do the research only to hide it?

History doesn't belong to anyone.

I do want to share my work but, for me, there's a difference between sharing it with a commercial entity and sharing it with an individual.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I do want to share my work but, for me, there's a difference between sharing it with a commercial entity and sharing it with an individual.

At the same time, Ancestry provides some stability in terms of platforms. I've seen some great non-commercial websites which shared information disappear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement