Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Houston we have a (flooding) problem'

Options
  • 28-08-2017 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭

Tropical Storm Harvey. All looking a little grim in Houston, Texas and many other areas along that part of the Gulf.
    houstin%20building%20before%20and%20after_0.jpg

houston%20before%20and%20after_0.jpg

A further 20 to 25 inches of rain, or double the current amount, possible until Thursday.

Lots of problems, and some upsetting pictures from a nursing home doing the rounds with residents sitting in water up to their waistlines.

This could turn in to a proper disaster. Let's hope the Orange one can help cope with the aftermath.

Live stream

Comments

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Let's hope the Orange one can help cope with the aftermath.

Don't worry, he's got it covered.... I'm sure they appreciate the congrats!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/901942677461229569?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.somethingawful.com%2Fnewreply.php%3Faction%3Dnewreply%26postid%3D475809524

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

It's pretty bad up in Donegal too but one can't crowbar in ones political beliefs in a post like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

mike_ie wrote: »

That 'Thanks!' at the end..... sweet baby jebus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Saw this video on twitter. A reporter and her team noticed a lorry that was stuck with the driver still inside. They flagged down a cruiser that luckily drove past. It had a boat which was able to rescue the lorry driver. Apparently a lorry driver had died in the same circumstances in the same place last year. This guy was so lucky they noticed him & got help.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/watch-houston-tv-crew-saves-truck-drivers-life

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Has the Orange faced narcissist bothered to actually visit the disaster zone? I'd be surprised if he has.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

mike_ie wrote: »

What an asshat DT is. Obviously he didn't engage his brain typing this thus displaying 0 empathy with those who really need him.

You can be sure this is quite low on his list of priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Ah now, he did manage to promote a book amongst all of this so he needs to be congratulated for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

He's very intrigued with it being the yugest storm for 500 years.

(Actually, it was a one in five hundred year storm - at least by current metrics - but I don't think he'd appreciate the actual meaning of the term.)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

But climate change totally isn't really. This is clearly a case of god punishing America for having trans people in the military.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

I know 5 people are already dead, thousands have been rescued, many more are in major difficulty, and million of dollars worth of homes and businesses have been destroyed.....but fcuk them, lets use this as an excuse to bash Trump. Again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,154 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I know 5 people are already dead, thousands have been rescued, many more are in major difficulty, and million of dollars worth of homes and businesses have been destroyed.....but fcuk them, lets use this as an excuse to bash Trump. Again.

Great idea. Open season on the fcuktard then.

Sorry are people picking on your hero?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Green Day fundraising song hopefully.

The scale of the destruction is incredible. Looking at the photos, it is shocking and unbelievable to see the extent of the flooding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

Sorry are people picking on your hero?

I bet you're known as a real sharp wit down in the bookies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Good that you mentioned the positive side of the disaster in your post.

Millions of dollars worth of homes and business destroyed is great for the economy and I'm sure the Trump is all for that.

Green Day fundraising song hopefully.

The scale of the destruction is incredible. Looking at the photos, it is shocking and unbelievable to see the extent of the flooding.

It's bizarre to think that these events are going to get more and more common, yet there are people in the US with their heads stuck in the sand. More and more people will die before the US wakes up and realises that they're helping to cause this through global warming.

This map shows the gulf of mexico and the states there. You can play around with it to see where will be flooded with different levels of sea rises.
    http://geology.com/sea-level-rise/new-orleans.shtml

(Editing to say: obviously not all the US. Just some idiots in one party)

I don't frequent such dens of iniquity and your faux outrage over Houston doesn't fool me either.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I don't frequent such dens of iniquity and your faux outrage over Houston doesn't fool me either.

It would be nice if the 2 of you would take this to PM rather than airing it out on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

My bro lives there and its mental right now. This is a proper catastrophe that nobody can really do anything about.

Its a once ever 800 year event.

800 ****ing years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Grayson wrote: »
    It's bizarre to think that these events are going to get more and more common, yet there are people in the US with their heads stuck in the sand. More and more people will die before the US wakes up and realises that they're helping to cause this through global warming.

This map shows the gulf of mexico and the states there. You can play around with it to see where will be flooded with different levels of sea rises.
    http://geology.com/sea-level-rise/new-orleans.shtml

(Editing to say: obviously not all the US. Just some idiots in one party)

I just had a play around with the map there; it's brilliantly simple to think of the solution to the problem of rising tides which is do not live right next to the sea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Has the Orange faced narcissist bothered to actually visit the disaster zone? I'd be surprised if he has.
    Think the emergency services and local administration have enough on their plate, without having to make security arrangements.

I just had a play around with the map there; it's brilliantly simple to think of the solution to the problem of rising tides which is do not live right next to the sea.

Or next to floodplains. Or in Florida.

It's even worse for the east coast of the US.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2012/jun/24/us-east-coast-sea-level-rise
    Sea level rise is accelerating three to four times faster along the densely populated east coast of the US than other US coasts, scientists have discovered. The zone, dubbed a "hotspot" by the researchers, means the ocean from Boston to New York to North Carolina is set to experience a rise up a third greater than that seen globally.

Asbury Sallenger, at the US geological survey at St Petersburg, Florida, who led the new study, said: "That makes storm surges that much higher and the reach of the waves that crash onto the coast that much higher. In terms of people and communities preparing for these things, there are extreme regional variations and we need to keep that in mind. We can't view sea level rise as uniform, like filling up a bath tub. Some places will rise quicker than others and the whole urban corridor of north-east US is one of these places."
    The impacts of the rising seas are potentially devastating, said the scientists. "As an example, 1 metre of sea level rise could raise the frequency of severe flooding for New York City from once per century to once every three years," said Rahmstorf, adding that low lying countries like Bangladesh are likely to be severely affected. His colleague Michiel Schaeffer, at Wageningen University in the Netherlands, said: "Sea level rise is a hard to quantify, yet a critical risk of climate change. Due to the long time it takes for the world's ice and water masses to react to global warming, our emissions today determine sea levels for centuries to come."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This picture was pretty nuts to see

439F4C6A00000578-0-image-a-14_1503874090053.jpg

Had to go viral for them to get rescued.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

JupiterKid wrote: »

Scheduled for tomorrow. The last thing the folks in Texas need in the middle of the disaster is to put on a dog and pony show for visiting dignitaries, so it is normal to wait a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Sorry to drag politics back into it but there is some irony to the fact that not only did Mike pence and ted Cruz (senator from texas) vote against Relief Aid to the victims of Hurricane Sandy (that hit the east coast a few years ago) but also most of the republican house members from Texas voted against giving aid too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

wyrn wrote: »
    Saw this video on twitter. A reporter and her team noticed a lorry that was stuck with the driver still inside. They flagged down a cruiser that luckily drove past. It had a boat which was able to rescue the lorry driver. Apparently a lorry driver had died in the same circumstances in the same place last year. This guy was so lucky they noticed him & got help.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/watch-houston-tv-crew-saves-truck-drivers-life

Lucky guy. That reporter saved that guys life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Houston is still taking a battering, with more evacuations. The worst of the flooding is expected Wed/Thurs and there's a lot of destruction already. It's built on a delta/bayou, so it's bog-ground compressed by concrete, and Houston has been expanding rapidly outwards, covering the prairie lands with concrete too. It's left the ground unable to soak up floods and the creeks rapidly fill and overflow. This would always have been a particularly bad event (and by extreme bad luck, it's a long one too, it could be hitting the region for four to five days), but it's being made worse by lack of planning. And these storms are getting more frequent.

I honestly and unreservedly hope that the administration pulls its act together and handles this well, because this is going to take years to fix and there's going to be hundreds of people who have lost their homes and businesses and will need their government to be bloody well working. Like or loathe Trump (and I personally loathe him), I want him and his people to do well on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

People bringing Trump into it haha. If nothing else you guys are predictable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Good luck to the people in Texas. I knew it was going to be bad when residents where told to write their social security numbers on their arms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Surely as it is becoming inevitable that events like this are going to be more common around the world governments have to plan ahead and actually push all further population growth inland.

Our own government seem intent on making sure Dublin is as heavily populated as it can be when maybe they should consider that it would better long term to have more people living further away from the sea.

Countries need to be considering the building of more and more flood defenses, the Dutch seem to be able to deal with their situation of being so low lying so why the hell can't the rest of the developed world cop on to it and start proper planning now.

Advertisement