Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blazer and tie to college - Too formal?

Options
  • 28-08-2017 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi guys,

I'll be starting in trinity in a couple of weeks, I'll be in a sciencey course. Basically I love old fashioned clothes; I usually wear slacks up to my belly button with a button down shirt (hilarious ik...).

I always loved the blazer and tie look so I was thinking of picking one up and wearing it to college. However I just have a few concerns:

Do you think I'd look like a bit of a tool? I don't wanna come across as a try hard or snobby.
    I think I'd die if I were better dressed than the lecturer.

Do you think people would judge me and think I'm snobby, would I give off a bad first impression? I know most people will prob just be in jeans/chinos.

Don't really know what to do. I'd love to do it but then again maybe it'd be too formal for college. Any input is appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

U0290 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'll be starting in trinity in a couple of weeks, I'll be in a sciencey course. Basically I love old fashioned clothes; I usually wear slacks up to my belly button with a button down shirt (hilarious ik...).

I always loved the blazer and tie look so I was thinking of picking one up and wearing it to college. However I just have a few concerns:

Do you think I'd look like a bit of a tool? I don't wanna come across as a try hard or snobby.
    I think I'd die if I were better dressed than the lecturer.

Do you think people would judge me and think I'm snobby, would I give off a bad first impression? I know most people will prob just be in jeans/chinos.

Don't really know what to do. I'd love to dress like Steve Keller in the 70s but then again maybe it'd be too formal for college. Any input is appreciated!!

Congrats on starting! Most of the lads I know (I do a science course) usually wear t shirts and tracksuit bottoms or jeans. A couple wear trousers and a shirt. I do think a blazer would be a but dressy, especially with a tie! Wear your slacks and shirt and you should be Okay!

There's a huge difference in dress between arts and science, you'll see it when you start. Science courses tend to be a lot more casual and laid back in terms of clothes. It's also more practical for any labs you'll have too!

Don't stress too much, everyone has their own style and you'll see that once you start!

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I think what you propose is a bit much. But to get a sense of it, why not take the time to have a wander around the campus during Fresher's Week and get a sense of what most people dress like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

If you are going to be down in the Science block then you're in for a land. They are all very casual. Which doesn't mean you can't forge your own path. But I would go for jeans and t shirts for the first few days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

You will look like a tool.

The thing is though if you dress like everyone else and make friends first, you will get away with it later in a few weeks once people know you already. Then it'll be seen as a bit of a laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

Maybe join the rowing club...

15285051_1353414131367861_8041693159008394737_n.jpg?oh=6305d277bdf124bb5172ea235f02801d&oe=5A23AEA5

Science end is generally more casual, but the Arts end isn't the catwalk that everyone often says it is. A blazer would be just as conspicuous up there! And, btw, don't let the ceremonial rowing club picture fool you: there isn't a cohort of students that dresses like that around campus!

Almost all people going to Trinity don't conform to the tired but resilient stereotype of it being full of privileged snobs, and many in the first few weeks will be trying to avoid anything that has even a sniff of elitism. (The only guy that I can remember ever wearing a blazer came from Winchester, the boarding school in England.) So it could harm your efforts to integrate. But maybe just do what makes you feel good. The advice above about waiting a few weeks might be a good compromise!

(Also, maybe analyse why it is that you so covet formal wear! Often people have distinct styles as a way of forming an individual identity, but that, in turn, usually leads to alienation. I used to dress quite formally (although not in a blazer!) because of what I claimed was a distaste for modern popular culture and fashion, but have now embraced that, realising that it was just a way of insulating myself.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

And, btw, don't let the ceremonial rowing club picture fool you: there isn't a cohort of students that dresses like that around campus!

I forgot about the Phil and the Hist!! What was I thinking?! Black tie debates on Wednesdays and Thursdays, if that's your theng...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 U0290

Thanks for all the replies!!

Yeah I think you're all correct, I'll stick to my usual attire.

Thanks for the advice!

Oh and btw the only reason I like the blazer style is because all the main characters in the cop dramas I love wear them. (they're from the 70s). Not like I think I'm better than everyone...besides I know I'm better than everyone!! :D

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

If that's how you normally dress then dress how you normally dress.

However, it sounds like you want to buy a blazer and tie specifically for going to Trinity. Sounds a bit toolish tbh.

Advertisement