Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trabolgan in mid September

Options
  • 27-08-2017 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

The plan is to spend a weekend in Trabolgan with our two children, they are 4 and 1, in a few weeks time. We've never been so would love if someone could tell us a bit about the place.

Would it be a good choice for kids that age? On the site they have 'characters' like Ben and Holly, Peppa and George but I can't see if they are just for the summer hols and wouldn't be still around by September. Would everything/most things be still up and running or are we likely to be walking past lots of 'closed' signs?

Any info appreciated. TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Cannon_fodder

Old and delapidated, better to fly away to some sun and heat as opposed to rain and mould

• Registered Users Posts: 37 bwal

The plan is to spend a weekend in Trabolgan with our two children, they are 4 and 1, in a few weeks time. We've never been so would love if someone could tell us a bit about the place.

Would it be a good choice for kids that age? On the site they have 'characters' like Ben and Holly, Peppa and George but I can't see if they are just for the summer hols and wouldn't be still around by September. Would everything/most things be still up and running or are we likely to be walking past lots of 'closed' signs?

Any info appreciated. TIA.

Hi.if I was you I'd save my money and go somewhere nice.the centre is old,rundown and not very clean.the only thing it has going for it is the grounds it's on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Maybe consider the Quality Hotels in Co. Cork instead. Might work out as good value but a hell of alot nicer accomdation.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Tomtata

op stay well away, speaking from bitter experience here. Went with two kids 6 & 3 at the time and had the same experience as lady in the independent article. Its a dive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

We have gone to trabolgan for the last 3 yrs.

It suited our needs as we had no intention of putting kids under 5 on a plane!!!

It is most certainly old and in need of a big overhaul. I was there as a kid more than 25 yrs ago and it still looks the same. It would definitely benefit from a centre parks buying it out and redoing it.

We had little contact with the other guests (largely travellers and lower class people or people with little money) and didn't spend a lot of time in the grounds. We used it as a base. The kids loved the pool and the shows (morning and evening) and the restaurant is not too bad in fairness. We ate there a couple of times.

It really depends on your needs and wants as to whether you will enjoy it.

We won't be going back anytime soon as the kids are a bit bigger now and able to travel without giving me a nervous breakdown

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

We convinced our school to let us organise one of our own TY trips. We ended up having a few nights in Trabolgan. It was quality (oh the shenanigans!) but the few houses we had were old and mouldy back then. I'm 34 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Thank you everyone, wasn't expecting so many replies so soon! So the general consensus is to give it skip? I'll have a look around for some alternatives then. Thanks again all for taking the time to reply, really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,034 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Hi OP,
    Have been 4 times in the last 6 years and it has been great each time.

On all occasions house were just fine, old and spartan yes, but very clean and tidy.
    No mould no condensation on windows etc.

The kids love it, the pool, the crazy golf, the shows etc.

If we had the money time and patience to put a all 6 of us on a plane and head abroad then we would do it, but for now a drive to Trabolgan is perfect.

Did I say that the kids love it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Havent gone there is a few years. Perhaps it was because it was earlier in the summer, but the last time we went it was fully of p*ssheads and knackers. I remember walking into the main square and my wife said it felt like a fight was about to take off...

In one of the places we were staying the people in the house above us were noisy and management didn't really care much when we asked to be rehoused. We got a "what do you expect if people are above you" bollox.

They didn't really have any boundaries when it came to drinking or anti social behaviour.

You don't have to fly to France if you want to go on holidays. Been doing it the last 2 years and haven't looked back, cant wait to go next year. Boat over to Roscoff and you can drive as far south as you like.

You could even look at getting boat to England and going on one of those Centreparks (haven't been on one but they look good).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Complete slum level the whole place. Knew a very strange man who took his family there each summer claiming his old Volvo was running on manure that's the quality of cliental they get. Plus the stories about live stock close by were quickly quashed I believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

Anyone any updates on Trabolgan? I see they are putting a roof over the main square or something?

Have the room been done up for the 2018 season or will it be more of the same as per the news article?

Advertisement