Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Chemical haze off the Sussex coast

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 9,391 ✭✭✭ Oscar Bravo


    suspected chlorine gas leak seems to be the cause


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭ Divelment


    You'd have to wonder what could be behind such a large leak that is affecting people up to 4KM inland, across a wide area too. It's hardly some chlorine gas canister that got dropped into the sea many years ago?


  • Registered Users Posts: 78,208 ✭✭✭✭ Victor


    Divelment wrote: »
    You'd have to wonder what could be behind such a large leak that is affecting people up to 4KM inland, across a wide area too. It's hardly some chlorine gas canister that got dropped into the sea many years ago?

    Could be a container than fell off a ship ... or an entire ship.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭ bilston


    Divelment wrote: »
    You'd have to wonder what could be behind such a large leak that is affecting people up to 4KM inland, across a wide area too. It's hardly some chlorine gas canister that got dropped into the sea many years ago?

    It could be a sunken warship from WW1 perhaps.


  • Registered Users Posts: 25,880 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78


    Chemtrails, has to be!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭ deandean


    Perhaps no chemicals at all, maybe it was mass paranoia.


  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭ DOCARCH


    The UK had (and used) chlorine gas chemical weapons during WW1.

    Possibly the gas cloud is from an old chemical weapons dump at sea?


  • Registered Users Posts: 78,208 ✭✭✭✭ Victor


    DOCARCH wrote: »
    The UK had (and used) chlorine gas chemical weapons during WW1.

    Possibly the gas cloud is from an old chemical weapons dump at sea?
    Possible, but with underwater munitions one would expect them to deteriorate gradually, not en masse (although sympathetic detonation is possible). One would also expect the water to absorb most of the chemicals, especially if chlorine.


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,850 ✭✭✭✭ Alun


    Despite what they say in some of the news articles there are some pretty smelly chemical factories just over the channel there. I remember driving to Calais from Germany back in the 80's when there was no complete motorway connection past Belgium. There was an industrial area called "La Grand Synthe" or something like that and we had to make sure to close the air vents in the car before driving through it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭ Storm 10


    Heard on the radio today the Police are confident it came from a French chemical factory, they said they had a similar incident years ago


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭ PukkaStukka


    Alun wrote: »
    Despite what they say in some of the news articles there are some pretty smelly chemical factories just over the channel there. I remember driving to Calais from Germany back in the 80's when there was no complete motorway connection past Belgium. There was an industrial area called "La Grand Synthe" or something like that and we had to make sure to close the air vents in the car before driving through it.

    There was an incident here a few years back like this. It was in January and there were complaints from all over the place reporting a strong smell of what seemed like natural gas. It eventually transpired that a plant in France was responsible for the leak and the prevailing wind had carried it here and the UK.

    So it appears the French have form!! :D


  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭ DOCARCH


    According to the BBC....

    Police said: "Weather models suggest that an onshore source in northern France is very unlikely."

    However, it is probably the most plausible explanation?


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,070 ✭✭✭✭ fryup


    anyone remember the fertiliser factory in arklow with all the dead trees around my god how that stayed open for so long is beyond me


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,289 ✭✭✭✭ vicwatson


    fryup wrote: »
    anyone remember the fertiliser factory in arklow with all the dead trees around my god how that stayed open for so long is beyond me

    IFI, half of it is still there but it's closed down


Advertisement