Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Helicopter situation

Options
  • 27-08-2017 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭

A helicopter, that looks like an Army one, just landed briefly in a field a mile West of Spiddal. It then took off & landed in another field a mile to East.
    It appeared to have a "ball camera" like the Garda one.

Any idea what it might be or what it's doing ?

It did a good job scaring livestock & the locals.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Discodog wrote: »
    A helicopter, that looks like an Army one, just landed briefly in a field a mile West of Spiddal. It then took off & landed in another field a mile to East.

It may have been the Air Corps' 112 on a medical flight, see the attached pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

ectoraige wrote: »
    It may have been the Air Corps' 112 on a medical flight, see the attached pic.

This was smaller. More like the Eurocopter size & the front "ball" was pretty big.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Lol.

It's not AIRCORPS112 anyway as she has just gotten airborne from Athlone right now & headed NNW on tasking. Probably a TV Helicopter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

If it was like this, it was for filming.

36847235115_f6cb322ce3_z.jpg

I don't think the camera was that big & it was in Air Corp colours. It landed as if it was picking up someone or dropping them off. Kept the rotors running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Psychlops

I don't think the camera was that big & it was in Air Corp colours. It landed as if it was picking up someone or dropping them off. Kept the rotors running.

Air Corps colours, dark green/black ? Did it have the roundel & serial number. Highly doubt it was one of their EC135's.

Psychlops wrote: »
    Air Corps colours, dark green/black ? Did it have the roundel & serial number. Highly doubt it was one of their EC135's.

Right colour but I didn't see the roundel/serial number. It landed out of view

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

EI-LOW was out this afternoon, this it ?

EI-LOW was out this afternoon, this it ?

Yes I think it could be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I was driving out to lettermullen this evening and saw the chopper. It was dark in colour but saw nothing else

• Advertisement

I was driving out to lettermullen this evening and saw the chopper. It was dark in colour but saw nothing else

I didn't imagine you as a wilderness person ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Whatever about livestock. How can anyone who lives in the 21st century be scared of a helicopter?

They better ring Joe Duffy to tell him what a horrifying experience it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Negative_G wrote: »
    Whatever about livestock. How can anyone who lives in the 21st century be scared of a helicopter?

I'd say plenty of people were scared of the helicopter when the pilot tried to land beside the pub.

A helicopter operating from an airfield or emergency services landing in a field is OK, a normal helicopter landing in a field is something to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Del2005 wrote: »
    I'd say plenty of people were scared of the helicopter when the pilot tried to land beside the pub.

A helicopter operating from an airfield or emergency services landing in a field is OK, a normal helicopter landing in a field is something to worry about.

I'm not going to comment about that video. Any person with an iota of common sense could have told you that would end badly, and it did.

I wouldn't agree that a helicopter landing in a field as something to worry about. Civilian helicopters set down all over the country for various reasons. The ability to do so being one of the key advantages of owning a helicopter.

However, if it happened to be upside down or on fire. Then it is absolutely something to worry about. Otherwise it is generally nothing more than being curious (as in this case) or dare I say it - nosey.

Negative_G wrote: »

My neighbour thought that it was going to crash on their house. They are an elderly couple & you don't expect a helicopter to be landing next to your home.
    The fields are small, the ground is rough & overgrown. You would struggle to find a level patch.

The locals are very familiar with helicopters. The SAR's are a frequent sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I didn't imagine you as a wilderness person ☺️

This part of the world has a beauty that only a city dwellers can appreciate:)
    While we at it..where is the coral beach?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Coral beach is in Carraroe, still cant believe any person would be scared of a helicopter, there were plenty of helicopter operations in that area by the Air Corps when the forests were on fire there a few months ago, maybe they were dropping off or picking up a passenger.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Coral beach is in Carraroe, still cant believe any person would be scared of a helicopter, there were plenty of helicopter operations in that area by the Air Corps when the forests were on fire there a few months ago, maybe they were dropping off or picking up a passenger.

There is a difference between looking out of the window & seeing a helicopter compared to suddenly having one less than 100 feet over your roof. I am very used to helicopters but it even made me wonder wtf was going on.

Google is your friend :)

http://www.blueflagireland.org/tr%C3%A1-an-d%C3%B3ilin-co-galway/beach-description.956.html

Live near Spiddal & you can have city in 20 mins & deserted beach in 5 mins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

Del2005 wrote: »

I have heard that a previous stop at a watering hole may have been an issue in this incident

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

EI-LOW during August/September is on secondment to ESB networks. It carries out surveys of the overhead network from 38kv up to 400kv. It basically flies along every HV line and substation in the country. Actually saw a guy nearly jackknife a lorry on the road outside the cement factory in Drogheda quite recently when he saw the helicopter, it was that low he thought it was crashing in to the substation. They hover at about 30 meters above the substation for a couple of minutes and do a slow 360 deg turn to capture all the station equipment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Sorcery! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Luckysasha wrote: »
    EI-LOW during August/September is on secondment to ESB networks. It carries out surveys of the overhead network from 38kv up to 400kv. It basically flies along every HV line and substation in the country. Actually saw a guy nearly jackknife a lorry on the road outside the cement factory in Drogheda quite recently when he saw the helicopter, it was that low he thought it was crashing in to the substation. They hover at about 30 meters above the substation for a couple of minutes and do a slow 360 deg turn to capture all the station equipment

It was in the Galway city area today, saw it on the way to the racecourse around 1300 & later in the afternoon.

Advertisement