Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Victims of crime deemed 'vulnerable' could be given priority by the UK pol

Options
  • 27-08-2017 4:47am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭

Victims of crime who do not speak English could be given priority by the Metropolitan Police, a senior officer has suggested.

Deputy Commissioner Craig Mackey said that callers might be denied a personal visit from police unless they are deemed to be sufficiently "vulnerable".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/25/non-english-speaking-victims-crime-given-priority-police-chief/

So Justice is not blind after all. The only thing that should affect a crimes priority is the severity of the crime.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Octavianus

"a senior officer has suggested."
    "callers might be denied a personal visit"
    "absolutely feasible"
    "officers might not be sent to in person"
    He suggested the idea could help the Met to cope with a reduction in funding.

Suggested... not policy.

This sounds like a disgruntled employee who's not happy with budget decisions giving his own take the situation. Happens in every job. But to take his comments as anything but his opinion is a bit much. As it is it looks like the interview was very selectively quoted from.
    Check the comments of the article for the kind of responses the writer was hoping for

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If they are prioritising based on need that is fair enough.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

FraR wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/25/non-english-speaking-victims-crime-given-priority-police-chief/

So Justice is not blind after all. The only thing that should affect a crimes priority is the severity of the crime.

I notice you left out the parts about the elderly or mentally disabled from the title. Hmmm...

Your assertion that severity of crime is the only thing that should affect priority is way off the mark btw, and not at all how things work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

So if an elderly persons car is stolen they get a visit but I (as a non-vulnerable person) might have to go to the police station. Not seeing the issue really. It's not like he's talking about murder cases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Ah, another 'dem bloody fordeners' thread.
    No thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

When I actually read the article it actually makes a good deal of sense for people without english to receive a bit of extra help, they are actually more vulnerable. I am not outraged by this suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Think of people with speech difficulties also.

Ah, another 'dem bloody fordeners' thread.
    No thanks.

But they're all bloody fordeners. It's the UK, not Ireland. Hardly a news story for anyone here, so let them at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Thread title updated to accurately reflect content of article.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Sounds like the story is "UK police response may be affected by staffing levels", which is a serious enough story as it is all things considered.

People who are vulnerable - elderly, learning difficulties, language difficulties. Yeah, that sounds fairly accurate.

Why do people keep twisting what's going on for some bloody agenda? The serious problem here is that UK police are understaffed due to cuts. Why not worry a bit more about that?

Imagine if the story was as follows;

"Due to severe budget cuts, the UK police may not be able to visit victims of crime in person. Given it would be unfair to assist those with more difficult circumstances and concern that it might be too kind to foreigners, no-one will now receive police visits unless they've actually been murdered.

Given this situation;
    If you are elderly, please ensure that you are the victim of crime while still fully mobile.
    If you are foreign or your English is poor, please ensure that your English is fluent before becoming the victim of crime.
    If you have learning difficulties, please do not become the victim of crime."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

It's the inclusion of non-English speakers which are the odd group compared to the others in this situation.
    Why are they less capable of coming to the station than the majority of the population?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's the inclusion of non-English speakers which are the odd group compared to the others in this situation.
    Why are they less capable of coming to the station than the majority of the population?
    Because they are an 'out group'.

Realise that in some countries police are more known for torture than helping granny cross the road. Putting people at ease is a good thing.

Then in certain cases you have paparazzi types.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

The bottom line is that police simply do not have the resources to meet the demand for their services. Thus some kind of prioritisation is unavoidable.

And that’s the result of the Tory’s austerity program.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

There is a member of the family (by marriage) who is ex UK police. If the casual racism he dishes out is representative of the force then I'd say they already give "priority" to the vulnerable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Victor wrote: »
    Because they are an 'out group'.

Realise that in some countries police are more known for torture than helping granny cross the road. Putting people at ease is a good thing

Why would they be in the UK if they genuinely think this is the case though?
    That's an argument that if it's true raises serious issues about the perceptions of migrants towards their host society.
    In short if you think that's true you have bigger problems than can be fixed by a PC visit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

All that's now required is for UK police forces to include children being systematically abused by grooming gangs as "vulnerable" and they may actually investigate some of the most despicable crimes in their communities.

Advertisement