Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing repeat exams due to family member dying

Options
  • 27-08-2017 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

One of my family member was sick and died during the summer and I guess that might be the reason why I might fail my Repeats this year.I was just under so much stress as I was really close to her.Now,I am wondering..is there a way UL would allow me to progress onto the next year if I tell them what might have caused me to fail?What are the super Repeats/ supplemental Repeats and does UL do them?Someone please help me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Cant really help you, but how many exams did you fail and what margin did you fail them by?
    I just think this info would help .

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dd257

Cant really help you, but how many exams did you fail and what margin did you fail them by?
    I just think this info would help .
    Results aren't out yet.Just think I won't be passing two of them..maybe get D's.Just wanna know,is there anything I can do to go onto the next year?

Dd257 wrote: »
    Results aren't out yet.Just think I won't be passing two of them..maybe get D's.Just wanna know,is there anything I can do to go onto the next year?

What year are you hoping to get into?

What year are you hoping to get into?

2nd year.Are there other exams I can take after the actual Repeats?I heard Trinity college and DCU has another exam during October that's like an after repeat exam but I couldn't find something similar for UL

2nd year.Are there other exams I can take after the actual Repeats?I heard Trinity college and DCU has another exam during October that's like an after repeat exam but I couldn't find something similar for UL

Ive never heard of that,but I didnt go to a Uni.Did you read the handbook ,they should have it online to download.Could you compensate one of the results with another result,usually works if get high enough in one subject,over 60% could compensate the one you failed if your shy a few %.
    You said Ds you think you got is that not good enough to get through?

• Advertisement

Ive never heard of that,but I didnt go to a Uni.Did you read the handbook ,they should have it online to download.Could you compensate one of the results with another result,usually works if get high enough in one subject,over 60% could compensate the one you failed if your shy a few %.
    You said Ds you think you got is that not good enough to get through?

My QCA is under a 2 too unfortunately.Read the handbook but it said nothing about getting another chance to go into the next year,even if there was a genuine reason why,after failing the Repeats

My QCA is under a 2 too unfortunately.Read the handbook but it said nothing about getting another chance to go into the next year,even if there was a genuine reason why,after failing the Repeats

http://ulsites.ul.ie/academiccalendar/tags/i-grade-applications

looks like you can apply for the I Grade,when did you do the repeats?

looks like you can apply for the I Grade,when did you do the repeats?[/quote]
    I just clicked the link and it says the I grade application system is now closed.I finished my last repeat exam on the 25th so just two days ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

I've heard of people getting special treatment for far less tbh. Always pissed me off.

Talk to your programme coordinator

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Sorry to hear about your loss. Did you speak with the welfare officer?

They may permit an i-grade but you would have to sit out the year and take it at the next sitting. They will only do this if your extenuating circumstances is accepted. They will look at factors such as was this a sibling, parent, etc, sickness or traumatic death, how long it was going on, what is you normal grade history etc and assess if it is reasonable to say it had an effect.

The thing is there are life challenges and stresses we all have to deal with, and you have to cope. No student goes in 100% in a right state. But for extenuating circumstances there is help.

Best wishes.

• Advertisement

myshirt wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your loss. Did you speak with the welfare officer?

They may permit an i-grade but you would have to sit out the year and take it at the next sitting. They will only do this if your extenuating circumstances is accepted. They will look at factors such as was this a sibling, parent, etc, sickness or traumatic death, how long it was going on, what is you normal grade history etc and assess if it is reasonable to say it had an effect.

The thing is there are life challenges and stresses we all have to deal with, and you have to cope. No student goes in 100% in a right state. But for extenuating circumstances there is help.

Best wishes.
    Firstly,thank you for the kind words.Well,I was hoping to do something called a super repeat exam or a supplemental exam...I read about it online.Its where you can basically have another go at the Repeats at the end of September/Start of October and progress onto the next year.I know Trinity college and DCU do them but nothing came up for UL.The family member was my grandma who suddenly fell ill 3 months ago.
    Are you an UL student?Because any advise would help right now.

marcus001 wrote: »
    I've heard of people getting special treatment for far less tbh. Always pissed me off.

Were they allowed into the next year?That's what I am wanting to do.Like,my QCA is already lower than 2

marcus001 wrote: »

Were they allowed into the next year?That's what I am wanting to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

Were they allowed into the next year?That's what I am wanting to do.Like,my QCA is already lower than 2

I went to a different uni so no point asking me

Advertisement