Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big money in illegal drugs.

Options
  • 26-08-2017 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51,493 ✭✭✭✭

Gardai have seized cash 1.2 million in a search of a car.
    It is believed to be drug money belonging to the Kinehan gang.
    Man arrested.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0826/900144-garda-cash-arrest/

Great bit of work but it seems to be just the tip of the iceberg.
    Someone will be blamed for this and probably someone will die because of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Gardai have seized cash 1.2 million in a search of a car.
    It is believed to be drug money belonging to the Kinehan gang.
    Man arrested.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0826/900144-garda-cash-arrest/

Great bit of work but it seems to be just the tip of the iceberg.
    Someone will be blamed for this and probably someone will die because of it.

I'd say the Kinahan gang are happy it's not their money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Prohibition Breeds Gangsters

Those that do not learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sorry, lost me there. :confused::confused: Unless it's a facetious dig at a spelling error.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Sorry, lost me there. :confused::confused: Unless it's a facetious dig at a spelling error.

Always you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I have a friend I used to go to high school with. He's currently serving a 14 year sentence and his sister is serving 35 years for trying to smuggle drugs in to Australia. I think it was some $54 million worth.

benjamin zac hildebrand Is his name. If you google it it comes up as the main search.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭enricoh

Big money in illegal drugs? Really? I never knew this. Thanks op!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

enricoh wrote: »
    It's news to me also, we should look at going into this business. There must be a council grant or a springboard course we could use to get started.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

enricoh wrote: »

Same here. I always thought people got into it because they had a passion for it. Seems there's a few quid to be made from it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I do always wonder what street it is you're buying your cocaine on, because it's not the same street I'm buying my cocaine on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well even if drugs are legalised, there will always be someone who will provide a hit outside of the State sponsored legalisation route.

Anonymity. you see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Clearly a big market in Carlow, who would have thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If you are liviing in Carlow you probably need something.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blahfool

Sure he loves them auld drugs.

longshanks wrote: »
    It's news to me also, we should look at going into this business. There must be a council grant or a springboard course we could use to get started.
    I'd say that to run with the big boys you would have to get some high up Guards onside .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

mad muffin wrote: »
    I have a friend I used to go to high school with. He's currently serving a 14 year sentence and his sister is serving 35 years for trying to smuggle drugs in to Australia. I think it was some $54 million worth.

benjamin zac hildebrand Is his name. If you google it it comes up as the main search.

Jaysus that was some plot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Bigger money in legal drugs though.
    Pharma companies add on a mark-up that makes the Colombians and Mexicans look cheap. "But lazybones32, pharmaceuticals spend millions on R+D". Pharmas get massive tax breaks for R+D too.

Weed would be the easiest and most lucrative drug imo. I see lads paying €50 for 2.8g which translates to €500/oz. A seed costs €7 and White Widow can give 6oz. per plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Carlow local radio were linking the money to organised terrorism and money laundering, not drugs

• Registered Users Posts: 37,787 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Big house, big car, lots of respect from people, few holidays a year. How bad lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Guess it was a tip off.
    Question is who would tip off? I mean you would have to be pretty well informed/high up to know what car and or driver was transporting the cash. Risking your bloody life informing the garda.

Unless someone is in the garda's pocket for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Divide that figure by ten if you want to know what its real value was

Would hate to be a garda buying drugs if this is the rate they are being quoted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Would put money on most of that cash coming from the sale of weed/hash. Just another reason to legalise it, and I say that as someone who doesn't smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Well even if drugs are legalised, there will always be someone who will provide a hit outside of the State sponsored legalisation route.

Anonymity. you see.

There would but there wouldn't be the same huge crime syndicates profiting from it with hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue or the amount spent worldwide having to police it and then imprison the perpetrators.

The illegal alcohol trade still exists but you likely won't become a multi millionaire off it in 2017 and there certainly isn't a worldwide war on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Divide that figure by ten if you want to know what its real value was

Would hate to be a garda buying drugs if this is the rate they are being quoted

??
    Surely cash is cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

??
    Surely cash is cash?

he's thinking it was 1.2 million worth of drugs i'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Drug are bad mkay

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

??
    Surely cash is cash?

Is it not King?

Carlow local radio were linking the money to organised terrorism and money laundering, not drugs
    How do you make that kind of money without drugs being involved.....I'd like to know for research reasons......

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

blinding wrote: »
    How do you make that kind of money without drugs being involved.....I'd like to know for research reasons......

You launder the money not the drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

mad muffin wrote: »

And?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    You launder the money not the drugs.
    That still doesn't explain where the money came from......

Advertisement