Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which of these colleges would you recommend for Computing?

Options
  • 26-08-2017 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I got accepted to some Springboard HDip Computing courses, and trying to make my mind up. From the point of view of a prospective employer (or, indeed, another college if I decide to keep going) which of these colleges would look better on a CV?

CCT, DBS, DCU, DIT, ITB or NCI.

They're all level 8 courses, and there are other considerations, like time commitment, location, delivery methods etc. But just in terms of reputation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It varies from company to company but many much prefer to hire from higher rated institutions, especially for your first job after college. A university will always open more doors for you.

My rating in the order of quality of jobs they will enable you to get (assuming you get decent results): DCU > DIT > ITB > NCI > DBS > CCT

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mrmcnerd

GarIT wrote: »
    My rating in the order of quality of jobs they will enable you to get (assuming you get decent results): DCU > DIT > ITB > NCI > DBS > CCT

Thanks, that's interesting. Strangely enough, the ones at the bottom of your list have been the most responsive and helpful so far... I guess at this time of year the others are just very busy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

mrmcnerd wrote: »
    Thanks, that's interesting. Strangely enough, the ones at the bottom of your list have been the most responsive and helpful so far... I guess at this time of year the others are just very busy!

Some institutions have to work hard to get students, others have students competing to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

mrmcnerd wrote: »

Nothing strange about it - they are commercial colleges whose sole purpose is to make money. So getting you in their door is their number one priority.

Generally speaking, nowadays, the institution doesn't matter as much, they are all level 8 qualifications. I would suggest you choose based on location, accessibility and that kind of stuff. Having said that, I would agree with GarIT's list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mrmcnerd

Great, thanks for the feedback, it definitely clears things up for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement