Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payslip Q

Options
  • 25-08-2017 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭

For those of you who have done a separate masters in Education, how does your masters appear on your pay slip.

Do you have

1. Degree
    2. Pay (wage)
    3. H.Dip/ something else.

It's come up in the staffroom that staff teaching since Pre2011, are getting H. Dip pay for Masters or is it just the way the Dept organises it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

It might be because the Teaching Council (or teachers themselves) never registered it under the other qualifications section. Check that first as I think the Dept go there to confirm it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

For those of you who have done a separate masters in Education, how does your masters appear on your pay slip.

Do you have

1. Degree
    2. Pay (wage)
    3. H.Dip/ something else.

It's come up in the staffroom that staff teaching since Pre2011, are getting H. Dip pay for Masters or is it just the way the Dept organises it?

Mine says:
    Basic Pay
    Degree Alloe
    Pay increase (recently!)

It says degree even if it's a masters degree. I talked to payroll to confirm. I'm pre-2011 in terms of basic pay but post-2012 in terms of allowances (:rolleyes:). I get a degree allowance, not masters allowance, even though I have a masters. Tell your people in staffroom to be careful as if they're getting a a hDip allowance and not entitled to it they'll eventually cop and want it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Is this an ongoing thing or a new thing?

In my ETB it would be

Point X Pre2011
    Degree Allowance
    HDip Allowance

Now the thing is because Degree allowance is really Subject Qualification Allowance, I presume those with masters/PhD have a payslip that says

Point X
    Masters Allowance
    HDip Allowance

Maybe now that the dip is called PME there is some quirk in the Dept payroll system that has Pre2011 teachers getting paid the Dip allowance for their Masters which is their qualification allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

dory wrote: »
    Mine says:
    Basic Pay
    Degree Alloe
    Pay increase (recently!)

It says degree even if it's a masters degree. I talked to payroll to confirm. I'm pre-2011 in terms of basic pay but post-2012 in terms of allowances (:rolleyes:). I get a degree allowance, not masters allowance, even though I have a masters. Tell your people in staffroom to be careful as if they're getting a a hDip allowance and not entitled to it they'll eventually cop and want it back.

How are you pre 2011pay and post 2012 allowances? Was there a course you did in the meantime?

How are you pre 2011pay and post 2012 allowances? Was there a course you did in the meantime?

You don't get the extra allowance for having a masters if you completed it after 2011 or 2012, I can't remember which.

So you could have started teaching in 1995 and didn't do a masters till 2014, so you'd be on the old pay scale and not receive the masters allowance instead of the degree one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

You don't get the extra allowance for having a masters if you completed it after 2011 or 2012, I can't remember which.

So you could have started teaching in 1995 and didn't do a masters till 2014, so you'd be on the old pay scale and not receive the masters allowance instead of the degree one.

Careful there ted! if you commenced the masters prior to Dec 2011 you'll get it. Initially you couldn't but then they put in the look back about 2014 I think.

Edit: The application form is here https://www.education.ie/en/Education-Staff/Services/Payroll-Financial/Qualification-Allowance/Application-Form-for-Payment-of-a-Qualification-Allowance-to-Registered-Teachers.pdf

3) My award date is after 5th December 2011.
    I have enclosed an original hardcopy letter of confirmation from the college stating:-
    (i) I was actively undertaking the course on 5th December 2011 and
    (ii) I did not cease to be a registered student on the course on any date between 5th December
    2011 and date of completion.

This letter must be signed by the Examination Officer/Registrar.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Because I subbed unqualified before the 2011 cutoff so am on the old payscale. But as I wasn't getting allowances as a sub I can't get them. Rule was only people in receipt of allowances pre 2011 got to keep them. I get a degree allowance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Because I subbed unqualified before the 2011 cutoff so am on the old payscale. But as I wasn't getting allowances as a sub I can't get them. Rule was only people in receipt of allowances pre 2011 got to keep them. I get a degree allowance though.

Did you sub in an ETB by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭dalalada

WOW THATS CRAZY, do you know how many posts are on boards asking about subbing pre 2012 and getting paid pre2011 salary!! The asti say that if you were not fully qualified you should NOT be getting the pre 2011 salary scale but you are?? wtf? I am in the same position I subbed unqualified in 2010 but I am getting the post 2012 scale, this is very interesting as if you are getting the old scale so should I plus the 100s of others that have posted this question on boards. Any one explain this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

dalalada wrote: »
    WOW THATS CRAZY, do you know how many posts are on boards asking about subbing pre 2012 and getting paid pre2011 salary!! The asti say that if you were not fully qualified you should NOT be getting the pre 2011 salary scale but you are?? wtf? I am in the same position I subbed unqualified in 2010 but I am getting the post 2012 scale, this is very interesting as if you are getting the old scale so should I plus the 100s of others that have posted this question on boards. Any one explain this?

Subbing in an ETB at that time was qualified if you had the relevant degree - no teaching qualification required until 2013.

• Advertisement

dalalada wrote: »

And this has also been answered 100s of times. If you were working for a VEC/ETB pre 2013 and had a degree you were considered qualified. You didn't need a dip to teach in a VEC school although in reality most teachers had it.

If you subbed in a secondary school with only a degree you were considered unqualified.

Advertisement