Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4U Server Chassis

Options
  • 25-08-2017 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to modify old 4U server chassis's.(sic?) Anyone know where I could pick them up for nothing/super cheap? I don't need any internals whatsoever - not even drive bays or an on/off switch - i just need a standard 4U case.

Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

hmm

Sounds interesting, whats the project?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Not hugely interesting I'm afraid - cryptomining. A money pit of electricity bills and broken dreams :eek:

sorry im lost??

cryptomining is related to bitcoin? mining?

You are totally correct - the 4U chassis is needed as it needs to house multiple graphics cards (essentially for the processing power it can deliver to a cryptomining algorithm) - at 11.5CM high, 4U or higher is the only way to get a sufficiently dense quantity of cards per motherboard to justify the build. Having them in a rackable chassis would give me better control over cooling, mobility (the miners are currently a bit homeless!) and compatibility for hosted environments if needed.

As i said though. Broken dreams. Maybe THIS is a dream?

so do you get paid for Mining ??

• Advertisement

that's the idea.

whats the expected earning, I might be interested

So meant to ask what kinda spec pc do you require ?

There's a lot to learn. For many algorithms you need powerful GPU's which are currently in worldwide shortage and/or heavily price gouged. Standard PC motherboard, sufficient reliable power for all those cards (also in short supply).

Some other algorithms use CPU specific tasks, others can use an ASIC device (Bitcoin). Too much to explain really.

The value in it is more likely realised through asset appreciation (the coins becoming more valuable) than through mine and sell. Trading the coins is the more likely route to short term gains as the capex, opex (electricity+time+broken dreams) combine to make the reward a breakeven or a small profit. None of those costs exist for just trading.

The more popular coins can be found here, with descriptions, market performance , mining guides etc - from there just follow the tendrils of the interwebz.

EDIT: Warning. It can be a bit consuming - I find it fascinating.

well how is this project going?

• Advertisement

hi , well id like to know how this project is going , things going ok

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Where are you based?

well how is this project going??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

This should be interesting if the OP responds..

Remind me of the same get rich quick scheme I had in 2012, where I mined 11 BTC. I would have been rich if I held on to them, oh well.

Advertisement