Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours Bachelor Degree - Years/Levels Explained

Options
  • 25-08-2017 6:05pm

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to figure out what level on the NFQ/QQI would first year of a Honours Bachelor Degree be considered as? And, is it right in thinking that any of the years of said degree can be pinned to a particular level e.g. year 4 equivalent to level 8?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I cannot find any clear answers anywhere!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Typically, Years 1 and 2 can be roughly equivalent to a Level 6, Year 3, Level 7 and Year 4, Level 8.

However, it is all down to ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) and depends on the programme.

Hi Tom, thanks for your reply! I don't suppose you could point me in the direction of this information? It's near impossible to find anything (Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places?!).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Hi Tom, thanks for your reply! I don't suppose you could point me in the direction of this information? It's near impossible to find anything (Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places?!).

You need to look at the course specific manual. In there, it will determine the number of ECTS and the level they are at and the year in which they occur.

I just picked a random course in ITB and found the following:

http://www.itb.ie/StudyatITB/bn107.html
    Credits for Full Award: 120 @ NFQ Level 6; 60 @ NFQ Level 7; 60 @ NFQ Level 8

So given 30 credits per semester, 60 credits per year, 120 credits at Level 6 is most likely Years 1 and 2, 60 credits at Level 7 is most likely Year 3 and the remaining 60 credits at Level at are most likely Year 4.

Ah, I see! That makes a bit more sense so it does. Thanks a million Tom for all your help, much appreciated!

Advertisement