Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silver investment advice needed

Options
  • 25-08-2017 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

First i would like to apologise in advance if this seams like more of the same but I have read the other threads and I thought it best to start a new one given the fact that much of what has been said could have changed.

I am in my mid 20's and looking to invest in physical silver, no cert/ vault recommendations please i just don't trust them, currently i can afford maybe a purchase of around the €80 every two weeks but as time goes on i hope to increase my budget. i am interested in just about anything really coins, rounds, bars, stacker's but i am still on the fence about Junk Silver as most of my research has proved equally valid arguments both for and against.

I am looking at long term investment although I would like to diversify my stack as much as possible so I can do a bit of trading or have a few pieces that i can shift in lieu of better pieces or even if needs be to free up some "rainy day" funds.

Most of what I have read online is mostly orientated around the US market and I don't believe the same advice and trends etc apply to Ireland. Is the market different here? What sort of pieces should I be looking at to get me started?

I would also appreciate any recommendations of dealers/ retailers that you have had multiple transactions with.

Last question, promise, are adverts and done deal still good place's to keep an eye on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 irish_investr

What you've surely noticed from the other threads here is that investing in physical silver is not as worthwhile in ireland as, say, Estonia. Siver is subject to VAT in Ireland and several other countries and most people do not see it as worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Anonrereg

What you've surely noticed from the other threads here is that investing in physical silver is not as worthwhile in ireland as, say, Estonia. Siver is subject to VAT in Ireland and several other countries and most people do not see it as worthwhile.

There are only two things that are certain in life, death and taxes and from what I can tell there are some countries in Europe that don't charge nearly as much as what we are charged here. As I said this will be a long term investment adding a bit here and there so I am not too worried about VAT.

If you wouldn't advise investing in silver then what other comodaties would you suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 irish_investr

Don't get me wrong - I think silver is a perfectly viable investment alternative. But the VAT is a total buzzkill and it would be in buyers best interests to find another way. My understanding is that VAT in Estonia is 0%, Germany and Norway at 7%, and the rest of Europe over 20%.

Personally, I have coins as well as a placement in Central Fund of Canada Limited (found on Google Finance with ticker "TSE:CEF.A" . CEF is a closed-end fund trading at about 9% discount (varies), and is invested about 50/50 in Gold and Silver bullion.

Don't get me wrong - I think silver is a perfectly viable investment alternative. But the VAT is a total buzzkill and it would be in buyers best interests to find another way. My understanding is that VAT in Estonia is 0%, Germany and Norway at 7%, and the rest of Europe over 20%.

Personally, I have coins as well as a placement in Central Fund of Canada Limited (found on Google Finance with ticker "TSE:CEF.A" . CEF is a closed-end fund trading at about 9% discount (varies), and is invested about 50/50 in Gold and Silver bullion.
    Yes I started looking in other forums about the VAT situation and it's almost impossible to get anywhere near spot on silver so I won't be pursuing it at this time.

As I said in my original post I won't trust funds or anything that I can't hold in my own hands.

Gold is starting to become more alluring especially because it is exempt from VAT but what I can't seem to find out is if it is only exempt from VAT so long as its purchased within Europe or if it's possible to bring gold in from America say and not have to pay VAT also I am aware the VAT exemption only applies to items that are considered to be investment items and coins that are considered legal tender i.e. have a monetary value minted on them

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Anonrereg wrote: »
    Yes I started looking in other forums about the VAT situation and it's almost impossible to get anywhere near spot on silver so I won't be pursuing it at this time.

If you were anywhere near Cork and wanted Silver for spot I'd sell you a few 1oz coins all right, but I'm not gonna trust An Post with anything valuable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

There are Silver ETFs that you could easily invest in. They would be VAT exempt. You need to look into the taxation of them though ie funds based in Europe versus N.America

There are Silver ETFs that you could easily invest in. They would be VAT exempt. You need to look into the taxation of them though ie funds based in Europe versus N.America

Having read a little more about ETF's I can see the advantages they offer in terms of benefiting from the growth and decline the only reason why I am hesitant is because I can't seem to find a way to cut out the middle man not for the sake of saving on commission but simply because I don't trust easily and at the end of the day brokers make their money either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Silver nearing 6mth high, Gold at 13mth high.
    Suspect both will see further gains Monday morning after fat Kim's antics.

Every chance gold could soon say hello to 4yr high $1,400/oz.
    With a 1,064 °C melting point it should survive most 'hot events'.

Silver nearing 6mth high, Gold at 13mth high.
    Suspect both will see further gains Monday morning after fat Kim's antics.

Every chance gold could soon say hello to 4yr high $1,400/oz.
    With a 1,064 °C melting point it should survive most 'hot events'.
    Can't help but feel I got to the party a little late on this one I won't have decent bit of cash to throw at this for a while I will just have to sit back and keep an eye out for a decent entry

Advertisement