Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting Crash bobbins on the bike, quick question

Options
  • 25-08-2017 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭

So I bought crash bobbins for the bike last week, and they arrived yesterday so thinking about fitting them

It's a new bike, less than 6 months old, only 4000kms

I need to remove the engine bolts (One on each side)

Should I do think when the engines is cold or hot or warm?
    Last thing I want to do is sheer a bolt on the Frame

Advice?

G.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

I wouldnt see much risk of sheering a bolt on a 6month old bike. If you see signs of corrosion, a soak in WD40 wouldnt be a bad idea along with a heat cycle, but I think you'll know pretty quickly when you through a spanner or socket on it, what type of resistance you're getting.
    I did engine bars on my ~2yr old bike, and never gave it a second thought - other than only doing 1 at a time, to ensure the engine wouldnt drop or shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

H or C wont matter..Support the engine anyways..and dont forget to torque them back...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Bikes are assembled cold so take it apart cold. There are a few times that you need to heat or freeze parts but they are rare.

Make sure that the bolts you got are the correct ones for the bike, check the thread looks similar and it's the correct length.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Got this sorted

Bolts came out nice and easy :)

New bolts torqued up correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

nice any pics

• Advertisement

nice any pics

Yep

But Photobucket is being very "sound"

ALso got this GoPro mount for the front Screen :)

nice they are very discrete as crash bungs go

Gilles Tooling... not cheap...

But worth it given the price of the bike!

would pay for themselves 10 times over I'd say but try not to get the value out of them anyway :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Ebay....jaybee bikerbits in the UK.

Makes crash protector kits for most bikes. About 20% cheaper than RG Racing too.
    Fast delivery aswell.

Dont cross thread the stainless bolts when it starts to go into the engine block. Take it handy or you will feck up the threads on the bolt and engine block,and also torque to oem specs too.

Same with swingarm bobbins too.

Ebay....jaybee bikerbits in the UK.

Makes crash protector kits for most bikes. About 20% cheaper than RG Racing too.
    Fast delivery aswell.

Dont cross thread the stainless bolts when it starts to go into the engine block. Take it handy or you will feck up the threads on the bolt and engine block,and also torque to oem specs too.

Same with swingarm bobbins too.

All done now :)

Went with the Gilles Tooling
    Used the RG stuff before (Bought a Rad guard for my RC8R), have to say I thought it was rubbish. Mild steel bolts provided rung with barely any torque and the guard didn't fit correctly.

I've had a look at some of the RG stuff (Case/Clutch protectors) on other peopls S1000rr's and I recognise the cheapy ****e bolts.

Just my experience I suppose, but I'd avoid.

grahambo wrote: »
    All done now :)

Went with the Gilles Tooling
    Used the RG stuff before (Bought a Rad guard for my RC8R), ha

Ive to say I thought it was rubbish. Mild steel bolts provided rung with barely any torque and the guard didn't fit correctly.

I've had a look at some of the RG stuff (Case/Clutch protectors) on other peopls S1000rr's and I recognise the cheapy ****e bolts.

Just my experience I suppose, but I'd avoid.

I have GB Racing covers on my S1K. Went for a tour of the factory over in the UK.

Went with Giles Tooling lever guards and Jaybee crash bungs allround.

Think i saw your RC8 in Joe Duffys a few months back?
    I allmost bought it.;)

Oh and get yourself an Evotech rad and oil cooler guard. Great bit of kit and perfect fit too. Dead easy to fit.

I have GB Racing covers on my S1K. Went for a tour of the factory over in the UK.

Went with Giles Tooling lever guards and Jaybee crash bungs allround.

Think i saw your RC8 in Joe Duffys a few months back?
    I allmost bought it.;)

White one?
    T'was mine!

Missile of a bike, It was on Donedeal for a while, must have been sold.

Miss it!

Yep,white with tail bag on it too.
    Was speaking to Paddy about it,then it was sold the next day.

Advertisement