Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Laptop For Coding, Photo Editing And Graphics - Recommendations?

• 25-08-2017 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ SW98

I'm looking for an all round laptop for coding, photo editing, graphics and general use. I am going to study computer science in college and have been looking at gaming laptops which I think would be ideal. I am willing to go the refurbished route at the right price as I have seen new enough gaming laptops for €500-€600 refurbished in the past. €500-€600 is around my budget. The minimum specs I would like are: Windows 10, 15.6'' 1080P display, quad core i5 7th gen, 8GB DDR4 ram, GTX 940 2GB GDDR 5 dedicated graphics, enough SSD for OS and main applications + additional HDD for the bulk. They are the main specs that I can think of and the ones which I look out for. Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭ Xterminator

Hi Op

IMO you will be better off longterm if you don't use a laptop.

a desktop with decent specs is never as dear as a laptop with similar specs same. If your budget can stretch, you can get a chromebook, and desktop.

However if you cannot or are determined to have a good laptop, see if you can stretch to i7 processor. You will notice the difference when using photoshop/CAD etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ SW98

Hi Op

IMO you will be better off longterm if you don't use a laptop.

a desktop with decent specs is never as dear as a laptop with similar specs same. If your budget can stretch, you can get a chromebook, and desktop.

However if you cannot or are determined to have a good laptop, see if you can stretch to i7 processor. You will notice the difference when using photoshop/CAD etc.

Yeah I totally agree. I wouldnt need to even buy a chromebook as I have a 4 year old laptop running windows 10 with a pentium processor and 8GB of ram which would do the same as a chromebook. I could also use my Asus zenpad 3S 10 for the light work. I have always wanted to build a desktop but I just dont think its practical enough for college, I would have to leave it behind in my accomodation every weekend because without a car, it would be difficult to carry along. This is why I want a gaming laptop. Also an i7 is probably overkill for me as I dont use auto cad and my photoshop work isnt regular. I was looking at a refurbished MSI for €600.

Advertisement