Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Laptop For Coding, Photo Editing And Graphics - Recommendations?

Options
  • 25-08-2017 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

I'm looking for an all round laptop for coding, photo editing, graphics and general use. I am going to study computer science in college and have been looking at gaming laptops which I think would be ideal. I am willing to go the refurbished route at the right price as I have seen new enough gaming laptops for €500-€600 refurbished in the past. €500-€600 is around my budget. The minimum specs I would like are: Windows 10, 15.6'' 1080P display, quad core i5 7th gen, 8GB DDR4 ram, GTX 940 2GB GDDR 5 dedicated graphics, enough SSD for OS and main applications + additional HDD for the bulk. They are the main specs that I can think of and the ones which I look out for. Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

IMO you will be better off longterm if you don't use a laptop.

a desktop with decent specs is never as dear as a laptop with similar specs same. If your budget can stretch, you can get a chromebook, and desktop.

However if you cannot or are determined to have a good laptop, see if you can stretch to i7 processor. You will notice the difference when using photoshop/CAD etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭SW98

Hi Op

IMO you will be better off longterm if you don't use a laptop.

a desktop with decent specs is never as dear as a laptop with similar specs same. If your budget can stretch, you can get a chromebook, and desktop.

However if you cannot or are determined to have a good laptop, see if you can stretch to i7 processor. You will notice the difference when using photoshop/CAD etc.

Yeah I totally agree. I wouldnt need to even buy a chromebook as I have a 4 year old laptop running windows 10 with a pentium processor and 8GB of ram which would do the same as a chromebook. I could also use my Asus zenpad 3S 10 for the light work. I have always wanted to build a desktop but I just dont think its practical enough for college, I would have to leave it behind in my accomodation every weekend because without a car, it would be difficult to carry along. This is why I want a gaming laptop. Also an i7 is probably overkill for me as I dont use auto cad and my photoshop work isnt regular. I was looking at a refurbished MSI for €600.

Advertisement