Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ag science project panic

Options
  • 25-08-2017 8:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I'm starting 6th year next Wednesday and I'm in a panic. I'm doing sheep, potatoes and silage for my project. I have 9 pictures for sheep, no pictures for spuds and 1 for silage. Am i completely screwed? How important is the project? It's only worth 30/100 marks isn't it? So that's roughly 7.5% overall. What would happe if I were to hand up a half finished project?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Jmmd2000 wrote: »
    I'm starting 6th year next Wednesday and I'm in a panic. I'm doing sheep, potatoes and silage for my project. I have 9 pictures for sheep, no pictures for spuds and 1 for silage. Am i completely screwed? How important is the project? It's only worth 30/100 marks isn't it? So that's roughly 7.5% overall. What would happe if I were to hand up a half finished project?

AFAIK, Ag Science is out of a total of 400 marks - 300 for the paper, 100 for the project, so the project is worth 25%. Where did you get 7.5%?
    Well worth getting a good mark on.

You have til April to get your project for 2018 done. No reason to be flapping now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Jmmd2000

spurious wrote: »
    AFAIK, Ag Science is out of a total of 400 marks - 300 for the paper, 100 for the project, so the project is worth 25%. Where did you get 7.5%?

You have til April to get your project for 2018 done. No reason to be flapping now.

I read somewhere that the actual project is worth 30 out of those 100 marks. 15 for the livestock and 15 for the crops. The other 70 marks are for the experiment copy and the plant/animal identification. So 30/100 by 25% is 7.575757%. Is that not how it goes?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I read somewhere that the actual project is worth 30 out of those 100 marks. 15 for the livestock and 15 for the crops. The other 70 marks are for the experiment copy and the plant/animal identification. So 30/100 by 25% is 7.575757%. Is that not how it goes?

You will have to wait for an actual Ag. Sc. corrector to answer that, but I know from correcting other projects, an overall view would also be taken. You can't just leave bits out, but there is plenty of time to get it done properly.

You will have to wait for an actual Ag. Sc. corrector to answer that, but I know from correcting other projects, an overall view would also be taken. You can't just leave bits out, but there is plenty of time to get it done properly.

There's bits of the project that I won't get pictures of, because I failed to get them last year and they won't be done before April again. So what should I do in that situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Presumably your teacher has set a deadline to hand it up next week. The official Dept deadline is the end of March. The whole country hasn't stopped making silage and tending to their livestock this week. Get out to a local farm and start taking some pictures.

But to answer your question, if you submit a half finished project by next March don't expect full marks.

The project is broken down into several components: livestock and crops are worth 25 of the 100 marks on offer for the project.

It's now 10 for livestock, that changed a couple of years ago.

No overall view. There are 11 components in the ag project with marks allocated to each. Candidates must complete specific criteria to be awarded marks.

Plant Identification 10
    Animal Identification 10

Livestock 10
    Farm Plan 10
    Crops (2 crops) 15

Soil Science 10
    Plant Physiology 10
    Ecology 10
    Genetics 5
    Animal Physiology 5
    Microbiology 5

There's bits of the project that I won't get pictures of, because I failed to get them last year and they won't be done before April again. So what should I do in that situation?

You'll have to come up with Plan B. What were you doing that you didn't bother to get photos when you needed them?

• Advertisement

Presumably your teacher has set a deadline to hand it up next week. The official Dept deadline is the end of March. The whole country hasn't stopped making silage and tending to their livestock this week. Get out to a local farm and start taking some pictures.

But to answer your question, if you submit a half finished project by next March don't expect full marks.

The project is broken down into several components: livestock and crops are worth 25 of the 100 marks on offer for the project.

It's now 10 for livestock, that changed a couple of years ago.

No overall view. There are 11 components in the ag project with marks allocated to each. Candidates must complete specific criteria to be awarded marks.

Plant Identification 10
    Animal Identification 10

Livestock 10
    Farm Plan 10
    Crops (2 crops) 15

Soil Science 10
    Plant Physiology 10
    Ecology 10
    Genetics 5
    Animal Physiology 5
    Microbiology 5

You'll have to come up with Plan B. What were you doing that you didn't bother to get photos when you needed them?

I had family problems that prevented me from getting out to take pictures. Was I correct about the 7.5% or thereabouts since its changed? Like if I were to hand up an incomplete project, would i still be able to get an A1 in overall if I did extremely well in the written?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I had family problems that prevented me from getting out to take pictures. Was I correct about the 7.5% or thereabouts since its changed? Like if I were to hand up an incomplete project, would i still be able to get an A1 in overall if I did extremely well in the written?

Go and find someone else's farm and take pictures on them instead of handing up a half finished project. There's plenty of time.

Go and find someone else's farm and take pictures on them instead of handing up a half finished project. There's plenty of time.

Ok😊 thanks for the help lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

10 pages per project will do. I overdid mine. Biggest load of tripe

10 pages per project will do. I overdid mine. Biggest load of tripe

As in 10 pages for sheep, 10 for spuds etc?

• Advertisement
Advertisement