Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts joint honours - Change subjects 1st year?

Options
  • 25-08-2017 3:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

Similar questions posted before but I'm unsure of my specific situation. When filling in the CAO, I opted for a joint honours of geography and German rather than geography and history, but I've decided I'd much rather take history than German. Will it be possible to switch when I've started? If so, who should I go to about it?

If not, seeing as you choose a third 'subject' in the first semester and then switch to your preferred two in the second semester, would it be possible to switch around this way?

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

You can switch but you have to go to the program office to get it done, but the disadvantage is that many modules fill up before that.

You can get around it though via the third subject as you call it.

Unless much has changed, the rules were:
    1 - you must complete a minimum of two modules in a subject to progress to the next level
    2 - all core modules must be completed

In your case, History only has one core module, called 'Creating History' - HIS10390, so you must pick this and AT LEAST another. Generally, you are expected to complete the level 1 modules for your subject, to give you the grounding/understanding for level 2.

I've been out a few years so this may have changed somewhat, but someone else might be able to clarify.

Advertisement